GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BRÄTS GTI

torga

Autocross Champion
Yeeeees. One of the best exterior mods to do. It's all in the details.

jtmu6982

Passed Driver's Ed
Just so you know, they’re still making these as well...
37B157BA-6031-40B8-814F-66722E7C5A1E.jpeg

zrickety

The Fixer
I looked at the coils but other than a bunch of here say and bro science I couldn't find any technical data explaining why the R8 are better
Back in the day, someone tested the stock vs R8 coils with a multi-meter...they have different impedance. Basically, you get more powerful spark with R8 coil packs. If you're stock, it's not a big deal. If you're stage 1 or up, they are worth having!! Not simply a color change as some would say. Just be sure to buy from a reputable seller, there are imitation red coils out there.
I would highly recommend stage 1 tune.
Car looks great, you're off to a good start!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Back in the day, someone tested the stock vs R8 coils with a multi-meter...they have different impedance. Basically, you get more powerful spark with R8 coil packs. If you're stock, it's not a big deal. If you're stage 1 or up, they are worth having!! Not simply a color change as some would say. Just be sure to buy from a reputable seller, there are imitation red coils out there.
I would highly recommend stage 1 tune.
Car looks great, you're off to a good start!

Thanks! I will probably get them soon, was looking at them on rock auto and they have about 6 different makes on there.

I'd like to drive another stock one. Sometimes I wonder if it's already tuned. Seems like more than 200hp to me, maybe it's just the lower weight of the car.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I bought my R8 coil packs from FCP Euro. They offer a lifetime warranty on everything and it’s actually legit. My plan is to swap them out with new ones every 20k miles or so. Great price and fast shipping ?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/
Me coming from a Honda Fit the GTI felt like a race car lol. Then I went Stage one and it felt like a rocket. I think the gearing helps it feel faster too. You could be tuned already though and some tuners can probably look up your VIN to see ifs in their system.

jtmu6982

Passed Driver's Ed
I was kidding.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
32,465 mi- Performed DSG service with Liqui Moly 8100 and filter from FCP euro. I did it on ramps backed up in my driveway so it was level. I didn't buy the filler tool, just put it thru the filter hole. This took about 30 minutes or so... Wished I had a piece of hose to slip over the hole in the filter housing and then onto the funnel. Would have been much quicker... Also slapped a new stock trans mount in there while I was at it.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Ripped hood liner out, didn't want to buy a new oem one. It had coolant stains on it and would smell like coolant after driving. Picked up some big sheets of reflect a gold for cheap(not certain if exact same as DEI.) Traced out templates with card board to line under neath the hood.
IMG_2720.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
That looks subtly cool! I was very happy with the slight increased engine noise once I removed my hood liner.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
That looks subtly cool! I was very happy with the slight increased engine noise once I removed my hood liner.

It doesn't look the true color since it's shaded in the pic. Blinding in direct light lol

Just drove a bit and got engine up to temp. The hood bracing near the turbo was warm, but most of the gold was cool to the touch still.

Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Reflect a gold looks good! Good work on install. Funny thing I noticed about the hood with insulation out. It recently snowed shortly after I parked the car at work. Snow melted at the areas where the hood bracing is located. I guess since the bracing holds more heat. I was pretty surprised when I walked up to the car and saw a perfect recreation of the hood bracing in snow!

I've had my hood insulation removed for 70k miles / 3 years and don't have any paint issues.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Reflect a gold looks good! Good work on install. Funny thing I noticed about the hood with insulation out. It recently snowed shortly after I parked the car at work. Snow melted at the areas where the hood bracing is located. I guess since the bracing holds more heat. I was pretty surprised when I walked up to the car and saw a perfect recreation of the hood bracing in snow!

I've had my hood insulation removed for 70k miles / 3 years and don't have any paint issues.

Thanks! I was thinking about what it would do but not getting much snow around here lol. I contemplated putting some on the air intake but it will be swapped eventually.

Update: After a roughly 20 minute drive I checked the temp of the hood. I got on the highway but no extended pulls or anything. Ambient air maybe 50ish, and the hottest part of the hood was at the rear ~102F(turbo). It got cooler towards the front and sides in the 80-90F range

Last edited: