GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cts ko4 wont fit! Help!

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
Nah lol, just the turbo support. I would’ve been as confused as you if that were the case. Well time to break this bad boy in. Cant wait for my first pull in this thing! Whats a good break in period? 300 miles or so?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I didnt wait that long. I think the day after I got tuned I was ripping on it. Had to drive it to tuners on stage 2 tune and after that i let er rip. I'm mt so had to replace clutch shortly after. Will watch for your post in cool story bro! Lol

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Although after a week or so you should go back and check all the nuts and bolts on mani and downpipe

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
Good idea! I’ll probably wait a week before I gas this thing. I already feel the difference in the lower rpms, I haven’t been past 3k yet :ROFLMAO:

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Problem is there is always one side is hitting, the actuator or the outlet. But I have a question about these 2 kits, whats the difference?
https://www.urotuning.com/products/cts-k04-turbo-kit-tsi-mk5-mk6-2-0t?variant=30939996815415https://www.urotuning.com/products/...-cts-mk6-2-0tsi-k04kit?variant=12917494480951

It looks like one uses an OEM Borg Warner K04 which is then modified to fit the TSI (outlet is modified the similar to most IE, APR, Uni kits). The other, less expensive option looks like an aftermarket brand K04 similar to the HPA K04 kit, the F23T and other turbos floating around eBay. Which one did you get?

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It looks like one uses an OEM Borg Warner K04 which is then modified to fit the TSI (outlet is modified the similar to most IE, APR, Uni kits). The other, less expensive option looks like an aftermarket brand K04 similar to the HPA K04 kit, the F23T and other turbos floating around eBay. Which one did you get?

yup exactly. Must be a newer offering by CTS

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
I snagged the slightly more expensive option. Damn, so how do I know they didn’t switch up the turbos on me. The only reason why I snagged a cts kit is because unitronic isn’t selling their’s anymore.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It looks like the aftermarket one has a CTS logo casted into the cold side housing. Even then I havent heard of too many people having issues with the chinese k04s that clocking couldnt fix.

Last edited:

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I snagged the slightly more expensive option. Damn, so how do I know they didn’t switch up the turbos on me. The only reason why I snagged a cts kit is because unitronic isn’t selling their’s anymore.

I wouldn't worry about it. The OEM Borg Warner turbo is likely far better built and QC'd in my opinion. It's what I would have gone for.

mattpowers

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumping this just as an FYI-- I just installed the new CTS k04 kit last night (the non-BW new kit) and it was absolutely hellish. Fitment was unbelievable, probably took the turbo out 25 times, and ultimately had to re-clock it with it installed to get it to clear everything. That was after trying to clock it on the bench about 20 times. Learn from my mistakes-- I also had to trim the turbo support bracket, as shown below, but the biggest problem is the compressor outlet hitting the timing cover. Only way I actually got it to seated / clocked right was to loosen the turbo support bracket fully, seat the turbo, install the outlet & intake couplers (these kept hitting / having clearance issues) and then tighten it all up. 0% chance of it fitting with the support bracket tight due to clearance issues. I also had to just clock it once it was on the support bracket and loosely on the manifold bolts, which I HIGHLY do not recommend, as tightening the coolant line / housing bolts are near impossible with it in that position, but that's the route I took. I would try like hell to get it clocked right, and see if it would seat properly with the support bracket off, and I wouldn't hesitate to trim that circled bit of support block either.

Anywho, hope that helps someone. Never ever buy this CTS Turbo kit, it's the worst fitting part I've ever purchased.

Yes, the passenger side to be exact. If you run into the same issue I would try everything else mentioned in the thread before trimming.
View attachment 167402
I’ll get under the car later or some time this week to see if I can show you what it looks like now.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Bumping this just as an FYI-- I just installed the new CTS k04 kit last night (the non-BW new kit) and it was absolutely hellish. Fitment was unbelievable, probably took the turbo out 25 times, and ultimately had to re-clock it with it installed to get it to clear everything. That was after trying to clock it on the bench about 20 times. Learn from my mistakes-- I also had to trim the turbo support bracket, as shown below, but the biggest problem is the compressor outlet hitting the timing cover. Only way I actually got it to seated / clocked right was to loosen the turbo support bracket fully, seat the turbo, install the outlet & intake couplers (these kept hitting / having clearance issues) and then tighten it all up. 0% chance of it fitting with the support bracket tight due to clearance issues. I also had to just clock it once it was on the support bracket and loosely on the manifold bolts, which I HIGHLY do not recommend, as tightening the coolant line / housing bolts are near impossible with it in that position, but that's the route I took. I would try like hell to get it clocked right, and see if it would seat properly with the support bracket off, and I wouldn't hesitate to trim that circled bit of support block either.

Anywho, hope that helps someone. Never ever buy this CTS Turbo kit, it's the worst fitting part I've ever purchased.
Never buy the non-borg Warner cts kit I think is what you mean. My cts kit hS never been an issue

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Never buy the non-borg Warner cts kit I think is what you mean. My cts kit hS never been an issue

Same. No issues here with the earlier BW based CTS kit.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion