GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom headlights project!

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Are you replacing the clear plastic housings on these or re-using the originals? If so, where are you sourcing them?

I need to have the plastic housings replaced on mine but I can only find the ebay ones that are intended for the halogen lights and not the xenons. Also considered blacking out my chrome surrounds too to give it more of a OEM golf-R headlight look. Dude I asked in California said it would cost $450 + cost of clear housings that I would have to supply + shipping.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Are you replacing the clear plastic housings on these or re-using the originals? If so, where are you sourcing them?

I need to have the plastic housings replaced on mine but I can only find the ebay ones that are intended for the halogen lights and not the xenons. Also considered blacking out my chrome surrounds too to give it more of a OEM golf-R headlight look. Dude I asked in California said it would cost $450 + cost of clear housings that I would have to supply + shipping.
I'm reusing them, I'm planning on sanding them down and putting automotive Clear coat.

The oem headlights are very difficult to open because vw uses permaseal. Check out the headlight junkies group on Facebook might be able to find someone closer to you that could give you a better price.

fatvdub

Passed Driver's Ed
bout time I seen a retrofit!! nice! did you stay with the same OEM projectors? I'd like better output but afraid to mess with the AFS on the Golf R headlights.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
bout time I seen a retrofit!! nice! did you stay with the same OEM projectors? I'd like better output but afraid to mess with the AFS on the Golf R headlights.
Yeah I kept the oem projectors for that reason. I thought about swapping to clear lenses but couldn't justify the price and thought fitment might be an issue as well. I might just upgrade the bulbs in the future.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Forgot to do updates been pretty busy. Got the infinity mirror/turn signals in mounted.
20220521_112347.jpg
20220521_113537.jpg

I'm using the xkchrome controller which has very nice features and easy to use.
Also got the demon eyes mounted just needed to order a connector so I haven't been able test them yet.
20220521_131637.jpg
20220521_131644.jpg

Last edited:

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Looks good. I would love to do something like this but it's waaaaaaaaay out of my expertise. Getting the plastic clear lenses off alone is. Would love to swap those most of all, but still no fucking suppliers for them yet.