GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom Tuning

watchthisspace

Hi guys,

I've had my MK6 for 3 months now and have started looking into ECU tuning and one thing I don't see is people getting a dyno or custom tune, rather these 'stage' tunes.. I'm from Subaru land, so it was a case of slapping on whatever engine mods, or none, and tune away as the factory tune was quite safe.

Is there a reason why the dyno/custom tune isn't done and people opt for these stage tunes?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Hi guys,

I've had my MK6 for 3 months now and have started looking into ECU tuning and one thing I don't see is people getting a dyno or custom tune, rather these 'stage' tunes.. I'm from Subaru land, so it was a case of slapping on whatever engine mods, or none, and tune away as the factory tune was quite safe.

Is there a reason why the dyno/custom tune isn't done and people opt for these stage tunes?

Its not needed on this platform really. Off the shelf turns work great. You can get a custom tune if you would like from Stratified or Sneaky but even then they just tune based off data logs. No reason to spend extra money if you don’t need too.

Welcome to VeeDub land.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Subaru are finicky and one tune that works great on one STi doesn't on another so there is a better return on investment by getting a dyno tune.

VW/Audi are all made with very little variations between cars and a well sorted OTS tunes work great on all our cars, so the dyno tune does not net us a good return on investment.

I have had mine dyno tuned and I have run OTS tunes and for the most part all the dyno tunes just move the power around and only gave me 5-10 hp difference compared to my OTS tune. And in anther case the custom tune I lost top end only to gain really low end TQ that was useless.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
These motors have been around in large quantities for a long time and there has been a huge amount of tuning done and most of the majors have tunes that reflect this built up library of knowledge about how to get these motors to respond. And the tunes do reflect all the dyno work that went into creating them. That is one of the nice things folks enjoy when going with this platform. You can just buy a list of equipment and a tune designed to work with it and the outcome is great solid power increases with OEM like civility.

I guess, why go back to the dyno and start over, better to take advantage of what has already been done again and again. This platform enjoys a LOT of choices that are quite solid.

Custom tuning still exists on this platform when folks decide to go beyond the common aftermarket upgrades, big turbo setups with variable fuel type setups etc generally require you to do your own tuning as you are getting into one off combinations of parts etc.

Last edited:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
These motors have been around in large quantities for a long time and there has been a huge amount of tuning done and most of the majors have tunes that reflect this built up library of knowledge about how to get these motors to respond. And the tunes do reflect all the dyno work that went into creating them. That is one of the nice things folks enjoy when going with this platform. You can just buy a list of equipment and a tune designed to work with it and the outcome is great solid power increases with OEM like civility.

I guess, why go back to the dyno and start over, better to take advantage of what has already been done again and again. This platform enjoys a LOT of choices that are quite solid.

Custom tuning still exists on this platform when folks decide to go beyond the common aftermarket upgrades, big turbo setups with variable fuel type setups etc generally require you to do your own tuning as you are getting into one off combinations of parts etc.
Exactly. If you're not planning on going with a big turbo setup and/or alternative fueling, there's no reason for a custom tune. Most of the major companies have canned tunes that have been tried and true for years. The canned tunes are the safest, most reliable way to enjoy your car even more.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
With a wideband and closed loop controls on bosch/continental ECUs, tuning is pretty simple these days, at least for stock turbo/fuel setups.

watchthisspace

Sorry to the late reply and thanks for all your replies - all of it make sense to me :) Will probably treat myself to a tune for Christmas