GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership recommendations for timing chain tensioner & intake manifold replacement/carbon cleaning

jcaff139

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2012 gti with 55k miles that occasionally throws a p2015 code. From what I’ve gathered on the forums, it seems like the intake manifold should be replaced under extended warranty (10yr, 120k miles). I figure I should also get a carbon cleaning done at the same time. Also, I would like to get the revised timing chain tensioner done.

Does anybody have experience or recommendations for Volkswagen dealerships that could do these for me? Anywhere in the tri-state area would work (NYC, Long Island, North New Jersey, western Connecticut) ideally.

ben_m

Ready to race!
1st things 1st. The CC should only be like 1.5-2hours of additional labor after getting the new IM. Any reputable shop or Dealer should honor that. Have them check to see what version your tensioner is on. If its the older one, be prepared to pony up to 2K. If its the newer version you can wait another 2-3years. I did mine at 73K and could have gone another 1-2 years, only reason I sucked it up was I plan on keeping the car another 4-5 years and my extended warranty is expiring.

jcaff139

Passed Driver's Ed
1st things 1st. The CC should only be like 1.5-2hours of additional labor after getting the new IM. Any reputable shop or Dealer should honor that. Have them check to see what version your tensioner is on. If its the older one, be prepared to pony up to 2K. If its the newer version you can wait another 2-3years. I did mine at 73K and could have gone another 1-2 years, only reason I sucked it up was I plan on keeping the car another 4-5 years and my extended warranty is expiring.

Yeah, if I can get an appointment with a dealership near me that’s the plan. The tensioner issue is a bummer but if they check it and see it’s the older one, I’m going to just do it right away. For peace of mind at least. Couldn’t imagine the headache of a bent valves etc over 1 simple design flaw.

Still looking for dealers service dept recommendations in the NYC area.

Espinafre

Passed Driver's Ed
2014 GTI. I had the same code two years ago at 57k miles. Intake manifold replaced under warranty. Carbon cleaning was an extra $350 on top. I have the updated tensioner so I can't comment on that. I used Linden VW. I've used them for other work (before and after the intake manifold replacement) and have had no complaints. Good luck.

jcaff139

Passed Driver's Ed
2014 GTI. I had the same code two years ago at 57k miles. Intake manifold replaced under warranty. Carbon cleaning was an extra $350 on top. I have the updated tensioner so I can't comment on that. I used Linden VW. I've used them for other work (before and after the intake manifold replacement) and have had no complaints. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll add them to the list.

Did you clear the code before going in? I have cleared the code in my car but I believe it’s still a stored code so I don’t think it should be an issue..

Espinafre

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply, I’ll add them to the list.

Did you clear the code before going in? I have cleared the code in my car but I believe it’s still a stored code so I don’t think it should be an issue..
I cleared the code but it came back the same day. Even if your CEL doesn’t come back, I don’t think you’ll have an issue at the dealership, as I think it’s a fairly common issue that they have to address on our cars. If you decide to go elsewhere, I’ve also had good experiences at Redline Speedworx and KMD Tuning.