GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership ripping me off? Help.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
When would you recommend doing the RMS upgrade? I've been wanting to do some stuff to make my car 'bulletproof' as you say and try and make the car mechanically last longer. Another thing I've read can help with that is the Fluidampr so I was considering that too. Anything else you can think of? I have like 43 K miles lol but had it since 2013.

In reply to your first question, when it fails or when doing a clutch upgrade/replacement. A clutch replacement is about 85% of the labor needed to access the RMS as I understand it.

I don't want to HiJack the thread, but there is probably a decent list of things I've done to and plan on doing to my car which fall into that "bulletproof" category.
PCV, Catch Can (although heavily debated, I do suspect it helps; especially if in a place where it gets warm), RMS, Engine Mounts (more specifically the lower pendulum mount), I never miss a chance to suggest r8 coils & new quality properly gapped plugs, carbon cleaning, fuel filter is often overlooked (although at 43k miles I think you might be fine on this + carbon cleaning)

What year is your car? if its 2012 or earlier, 100% check the timing chain tensioner revision and upgrade if its the old one.

I think that covers most of the issues that pop up long term with these cars without getting into more performance oriented mods.

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
Regarding your main post - I would shop around with independent shops. I had this same job done with a new cams + timing chain revision/service to be around $2500. Everything else in the head was okay. So it stopped there for me.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
So VW ripped off of the iAbed design... I bet that guy was less than pleased.

Who really makes that thing? I couldn't find it on the urotuning site because iAbed wasn't mentioned in the listing at all. I called and talked to someone and he said urotuning designed and produced their own. Then when the RMS showed up it was most definitely made by iAbed, but the guy on the phone at urotuning had never heard of iAbed when I brought it up.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I was researching things probably over a year ago and learned that the person responsible for the part was actually a forum member. (I honestly don’t remember If it was on here or VW Vortex) the guy was an engineer and disgusted with the VW design and decided that it needed to be fixed.