GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dear Battery Sythoms and Advice

dstarthery

Recently I noticed it takes slightly more cranking to start. Instead of starting in the first second it takes 2 seconds of cranking. Today it does not start at all. It is not very cold outside, around 50F. Last time I drove it was four days ago for about 15 min on the freeway. When I crank it, nothing really moves, I hear some slight clicking and the dashboard lights start dimming and flikering.

Based on this description, would you say is the battery or something else? How long is the battery supposed to last? it is a 2013 model and I bought it new almost 10 year ago.

It it is the battery, could it be recharged/restored? Or I need a new one? Any recommendations on getting a new one? Any specific brand? Are Costco or Walmart a good place to get one?

Thank you so much!

dstarthery

I checked the battery voltage with a voltmeter and it shows more than 12V. I guess the issue is someplace else.

dstarthery

Finally, I used a jump starter and started it. Drove it for a bit and once stopped, it started again. I started it two more times and it starts OK. So, it is definitely the battery but it seems OK now.

Since it had decent voltage, I guess it does not produce the needed power any longer.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
What’s the date on the battery? If it’s over 3 years old might be time for a new one. Over 5 years replace it before it leaves you stranded.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I checked the battery voltage with a voltmeter and it shows more than 12V. I guess the issue is someplace else.
This isn't particularly helpful for a car battery because there is no load. Without the load of a starter a bad battery can still measure 12.6 volts on a multimeter, and the voltage can drop like a rock once the starter is engaged. A real battery tester is needed to know for sure.

As mentioned, 5 years from a battery is pretty good, anything more than that is a bonus regardless of how nice of a battery you have.