GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disable ASR with vcds?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyone know if it is posible to disable ASR with vcds for a 2012+ Gllf MK6? I know where the setting is but if you try and change it to the off position it will not persist. I can turn it off via the traction control button but since I drive with it off all the time I would rather just disable it but I don't think it is possible without simply disabling the steering position sensor which disables ESC as well which I want to keep. Ideal,ly I want to reverse the function of the traction control button, default off/short press on but that is not possible.

I am not trying to go around spinning the tires. ASR causes significant throttle response issues with my car. Also my car is much quieter with ASR off. I'm not looking for any safety lectures. I have been driving with it off all the time for a long time now and I carry a laptop and cable in my car all the time so if I needed to turn it on I can pull over and change the setting in vcds in minutes.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
By ASR you mean ESP right? It's not possible to turn it off permanently, even with the Hack to turn it off using the ESP button, VW programmed the system to reactivates when you start up next time.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
By ASR you mean ESP right? It's not possible to turn it off permanently, even with the Hack to turn it off using the ESP button, VW programmed the system to reactivates when you start up next time.

No. ASR and ESP are two separate things although both work off the ABS module. ASR is Anti-slip resistance. And is what kills the motor when the wheel starts slipping on slick surfaces. ESP is the stability control that applies brake to the individual wheels when one wheel is spinning faster than the others to keep the car pointing forward. It may do other things I'm not sure. On my car when you hit the traction control button the ASR is turned off and ESP remains always active unless you do the hack to do the long push ESP off. I've searched everywhere and read tons of threads and I think on the 2012 and above it is not possible to change the setting.

And actually, apparently you can permanently disable ESP by disabling the steering angle sensor in VCDS. Haven't tried it but people say it works but it may just be the GTI and R. I have no need to turn off ESP and I wouldn't turn ASR off either if it didn't mess with my throttle so much.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
No. ASR and ESP are two separate things although both work off the ABS module. ASR is Anti-slip resistance. And is what kills the motor when the wheel starts slipping on slick surfaces. ESP is the stability control that applies brake to the individual wheels when one wheel is spinning faster than the others to keep the car pointing forward. It may do other things I'm not sure. On my car when you hit the traction control button the ASR is turned off and ESP remains always active unless you do the hack to do the long push ESP off. I've searched everywhere and read tons of threads and I think on the 2012 and above it is not possible to change the setting.

And actually, apparently you can permanently disable ESP by disabling the steering angle sensor in VCDS. Haven't tried it but people say it works but it may just be the GTI and R. I have no need to turn off ESP and I wouldn't turn ASR off either if it didn't mess with my throttle so much.
Traction control, on VW it uses brakes only, so will slow you down. Ya once I did the Zrickety Hach for '08.5 to '11 cars I can turn off Traction Control, signified by the ESP light flashing; I tested it in the snow, turning Traction control off makes accelerating faster and more controled by me. If I hold it longer it turns off ESP, signified by the ESP light staying on. There is a Hack for the newer +'11 cars that works on ALL the VW cars including the Golf but I don't have the "detailed" MK6 Forum link for it, but a short video was posted on Youtube HERE but everything will always reset on restart, no way around it as far as I know.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
ARS --- Automatic slip regulation does not use any braking according to the manual it simply cuts engine power to stop the wheels from spinning. Reducing tire wear from burnounts. The ESP does use braking and is used with ARS and ABS to make the car more stable however is not the same as dynamic braking stability that VW uses in the GTI and some other '12 models that can brake all 4 tires and work to control the car in corners(XDS).

Ron

This is from TDI club and is also what I had on my 2010 TDI as well.

I had issues with this in Alaska as sometimes if I parked in a parking lot the heat from the engine would melt the snow and ice then as the engine cooled it would refreeze so you were sitting on an ice rink. When I would get back in my car and go to leave the ASR would kick in and kill the motor and you couldn't go anywhere, especially if you were on any kind of incline.. The only way to go anywhere was to turn off ASR which is why the button is there. If you couldn't turn ASR off you would be stuck.

If I hit my traction contol button my MFD says "ASR Off". I cannot turn off ESP in my car. I believe in my TDI I could turn both off with the button by pressing once, then pressing and holding. I am not sure how the Canadian cars are setup.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Traction control, on VW it uses brakes only, so will slow you down. Ya once I did the Zrickety Hach for '08.5 to '11 cars I can turn off Traction Control, signified by the ESP light flashing; I tested it in the snow, turning Traction control off makes accelerating faster and more controled by me. If I hold it longer it turns off ESP, signified by the ESP light staying on. There is a Hack for the newer +'11 cars that works on ALL the VW cars including the Golf but I don't have the "detailed" MK6 Forum link for it, but a short video was posted on Youtube HERE but everything will always reset on restart, no way around it as far as I know.

Don't think it works on US 2.5L, or at least not mine. My car has a much shorter long code in vcds then the ones I have seen referenced for the GTI and R and the blocks referenced in the long code helper are all blank. I have found a bunch of posts with instructions for the GTI and R and the info all seems valid as the blocks are there but the blocks they are changing are empty on mine. And if I add anything to the block it does nothing to long code. Basically I think you are restricted from the blocks that control the ESP on the US 2012+ 2.5L. Doesn't matter because I don't really care about ESP. It's the ASR giving me trouble. I'll just have to keep pushing the button everytime I get in the car. Oh well.

Last edited: