GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: aftermarket siren (horn delete)

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
I was meaning to use the tap style that AWE includes with their boost gauge. Those taps are beautiful and make the 3m taps look like garbage.

i know which ones your talking about, they are expensive and they do look like a decent tap, but it costs me nothing to t-splice and solder. plus i know that i wont have resistence issues in the future.

then again, i have seen improper soldering techniques also

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Interesting... so how do you have your wired up? My connector is not plugged into the old horn. I have the siren tapped into the wires, but the connector is physically disconnected.

I did the same thing. The stock siren horn is completely removed.

As for the issues of t-taps, I, too have repaired issues in people's cars due to the failure of those connectors. No matter what I'm installing I always solder wires together with the same method/technique: strip the insulation, connect the wires, soldering, cover with heatshrink and wrap with electrical tape. No issues whatsoever.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
This is going to be the first mod I do for my GTI! Picked it up a few weeks ago and can't believe they made the lock-horn non-programmable for the NA market. Stupid. And like everyone, I hate it. I'm sure my neighbor loves it too, with my car being parked 8-feet from her bedroom window and all my late-night grocery store runs.

Question: why not just cut the connector for the horn off when you solder the wires? Are you guys leaving it on there just so it would be easier to reconnect the horn should you want to sell the car? I'd say if that's the case, just as easy to re-solder the connector since you're going to have to remove what you added anyhow.

Just making sure I'm not missing something; new to VWs but don't see how that matters.

Skirball

Ready to race!
No matter what I'm installing I always solder wires together with the same method/technique: strip the insulation, connect the wires, soldering, cover with heatshrink and wrap with electrical tape. No issues whatsoever.

How do you heatshrink without cutting the wires?

Skirball

Ready to race!
Question: why not just cut the connector for the horn off when you solder the wires? Are you guys leaving it on there just so it would be easier to reconnect the horn should you want to sell the car? I'd say if that's the case, just as easy to re-solder the connector since you're going to have to remove what you added anyhow.

When/if you remove it you're left with the original wire, intact, with just a little extra solder and some missing insulation. You also didn't lose your original connector in a box in the basement somewhere.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
...You also didn't lose your original connector in a box in the basement somewhere.

Dangit, how'd you find out about my box?! :eek:

I just wanted to make sure VW dealers won't void your warranty on electrical components if you snip a wire here or there. I am definitely in favor of doing professional looking work. Now I just have to order the part so I can do my first mod! Thanks!

DarthMaul

Ready to race!
This is going to be the first mod I do for my GTI! Picked it up a few weeks ago and can't believe they made the lock-horn non-programmable for the NA market. Stupid. And like everyone, I hate it. I'm sure my neighbor loves it too, with my car being parked 8-feet from her bedroom window and all my late-night grocery store runs.

The lock horn being non-programmable is easily rectified via VCDS. You can turn on the menu option in the MFD that allows you to change the horn setting (It's listed as ATA Confirm in the MFD once you turn on the menu option).

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone tried the mod listed on this link (cut the black/white wire) to make it a single tone siren? I hate those alarms that play through a medley of songs.

my alpine siren is a single tone :)

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Were you able to get any more of it and how much are they? FWIW, I really don't care a whole lot about getting the most beautiful note/tone, just something that sounds like a standard "BEEP" or chirp you get with most cars. Like my previous 04 Subaru Forester or 07 FJ Cruiser.

Really, what I want to know is what's the cheapest, decent, reliable alternative to the horn? Should an Ebay part-out for any other OEM chirp horn work just fine?

EDIT: someone mentioned DEI, looks like this would work for me. Even found a youtube of it on a MK6!
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13988_Directed-514N-514LN.html

Last edited:

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Also, I wonder - is there a way to get the normal "1 chirp = lock, 2 chirp = unlock" functionality? VAGCOM setting for that? I can live without that, I'll just be happy to get away from the horn sound, but it would be nice to have.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Also, I wonder - is there a way to get the normal "1 chirp = lock, 2 chirp = unlock" functionality? VAGCOM setting for that? I can live without that, I'll just be happy to get away from the horn sound, but it would be nice to have.

Enable it through Vag-com. That's what I did for mine. As for the (DEI) siren, you can source one just about anywhere.

Skirball.....since I didn't actually cut the wires, I did not use heatshrink. However, I would recommend using good quality 3M electrical tape to cover the soldering connections. Other brands of electrical tape do not hold up. As for cutting the wire to delete the "other" siren sounds, don't worry about it. Since the signal to the siren is in momentary pulses, you will only get ONE sound....the normal DEI chirp.

Skirball

Ready to race!
Skirball.....since I didn't actually cut the wires, I did not use heatshrink. However, I would recommend using good quality 3M electrical tape to cover the soldering connections. Other brands of electrical tape do not hold up. As for cutting the wire to delete the "other" siren sounds, don't worry about it. Since the signal to the siren is in momentary pulses, you will only get ONE sound....the normal DEI chirp.

Yeah I was just clarifying, or seeing if you knew some technique I didn't. As for the tape, I used to work as an electrician in college, I know all about the joys of the coveted 33+.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I was just clarifying, or seeing if you knew some technique I didn't. As for the tape, I used to work as an electrician in college, I know all about the joys of the coveted 33+.

haha...I know what you mean. Sometimes, it's nearly impossible to use heatshrink tubing to cover the connection.

Last edited: