GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: aftermarket siren (horn delete)

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Just like most of the Golf GTI (MK6) owners out there, we've all grown tired of the horn beep when we lock/ARM our cars. I've looked around and the DIYs out there are vague and doesn't show much details. Since I had an extra siren, I decided to go ahead and replace the horn as well as document the work to share with others. I just recently had someone VAG-COM'd my car so it has LOCK(ARM)~UNLOCK(DISARM) confirmation chirps. This mod is waaay cheaper than sourcing the Euro spec siren. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. Enjoy....

* * * VAG COM coding: BYTE 5 in Central Electronics Long Coding Helper --- Enable horn honking on unlock confirmation, check bit 4 * * *

Labor time: 30-45min

Tools/parts:

*** UPDATED *** no longer using the DEI siren

• Crimestopper CS-190 ~ 20 watt 125dB single-tone siren (heat & water resistant)
• Wire stripper
• Soldering pen w/ solder
• Electrical tape (3M brand)
• 1/4" wire loom (Harbor Freight)
• T-20 torx socket/screw bit
• 13mm box wrench or adjustable wrench
• 10mm socket
• 10mm bolt
• work light

1. Jack up the car and remove front passenger wheel.
2. Remove the (8) T-20 screws that hold the plastic fender liner. It's much easier to remove the entire liner for clearance.

3. Once liner is removed, look at the left side of the fender well and you will see the factory horn siren. Using the 13mm box wrench (or adjustable wrench), remove the bolt that holds the horn to the bracket. Then, unplug the black connector. If you look close, you can see "2" & "1" on one side of the connector. "2" is black/yellow (+) and "1" is brown (-)

4. On the DEI siren, bend the right mounting bracket to a 90 degree. You will need to open up the mounting hole to accommodate the 10mm bolt. I used the hole in front of the windshield reservoir cap/spout. Once the new siren is mounted, measure the wire so it can reach the black connector. After the wire length is determined and cut, cover the wires with the wire loom.

5. Route the wire loomed cover wires towards the connector. At the connector, peel off the tape (at the end of wire loom) and strip off a 1/4" section of both factory wires...at least 2" away from the connector. Solder the new wires onto those wires accordingly: RED --> black/yellow ...... BLACK ---> brown
Cover the connections with electrical tape. It is recommended to tape over the unused connector as well. Zip tie to secure in place.

6. Using your remote, test the new siren pressing the LOCK button. The panic button works as well.
**** Remember, DISARM/UNLOCK will not make a sound chirip until you program so with VAG-COM ****
7. Re-install the fender liner, mount wheels and wa-laaa.... No more lame horn beep!!!

Last edited:

cwGTIautobahn

Ready to race!
Very cool...nice job.

Thanks!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. It was easier than I first anticipated. If I can get a hold of a someone local with vagcom, I'm going to enable the unlock chirp option.

cwGTIautobahn

Ready to race!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Yes, that's the one. I mistyped the part # in the original thread. If I'm not mistaken, the 514N is smaller than the 514LM but either one will work fine.

Trust me, I always hated the "horn beep" sound when I locked the doors.

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, bubuski. I just hope it will be helpful to those that have been wanting to do this mod.

Jason, I like the Alpine siren but since I had the extra DEI one, I decided to use that instead. The one I used was a soft chirp model so it's not that annoying.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE:
Since I'm going to install a catch can soon, I decided to relocate the siren to the right side of the windshield washer fluid tank (above the passenger foglight cover). The wire length remains the same but the location is more low key. All you have to do is mount the siren using the hole of the fender bracket. If you remove the fender liner, you will see what I'm referring to.

Last edited:

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
i had a brand new case of them...........but i sent a bunch of them out to forum members. Sorry guys.

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
i might be able to get some more..............let me see what i can do.

quote from VORTEX:

phd-12v

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date: Jun 13th, 2001 Location: pa Posts: 1,419 Vehicles:'10 4dr GTI w/DSG

10-06-2010 06:27 PM #14

If it is only 2 wires, the old Alpine sirens automatically have a soft chirp. Now you might say "how could you find the old alpine sirens"...well i just happen to have a case of them

im curious if you can just swap a siren into it, without all the extra hardware you listed (which by the way is extremely detailed)