GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

DIY K04 Install Notes/Helpful Tips

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Well first off I took the bracket out with the turbo so I could take care of this bolt on the bench. Ultimately after about a week of PB blasting it took a 7/16" Allen socket, 3/8 to 1/2" converter, a 1/2" drive 2' long breaker bar, consistent tapping from a hammer to keep all that in the head of the bolt, a pipe wrench on the outside of the bolt and two men combined 350+lbs to break the sucker off of there. That was our last ditch effort before trying to torch the thing off and salvage the bracket. Honestly I'm surprised we didn't crack the nut from its welds when it broke loose.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Well first off I took the bracket out with the turbo so I could take care of this bolt on the bench. Ultimately after about a week of PB blasting it took a 7/16" Allen socket, 3/8 to 1/2" converter, a 1/2" drive 2' long breaker bar, consistent tapping from a hammer to keep all that in the head of the bolt, a pipe wrench on the outside of the bolt and two men combined 350+lbs to break the sucker off of there. That was our last ditch effort before trying to torch the thing off and salvage the bracket. Honestly I'm surprised we didn't crack the nut from its welds when it broke loose.
Haha wow. Well, luckily I got it off after about 20m of fussing with it outside the car. I also removed the turbo w/ the bracket on. SUPER annoying because you have to loosen the v bracket on the engine block. Tight clearance only allowed me to use a hand wrench to turn some of the nuts...

I tried removing it by doing all the above, but I couldn't get it to budge... so I took a socket and 2' (1/2" drive) breaker bar and cracked the weld loose. It was way easier and I was able to just use a brand new bolt with a proper hex head on there! So happy that's done with...

RichBGTI

Ready to race!
I think i'm going to have to remove the turbo from the underside. The 6mm allen bolt (lower one just above manifold) rounded almost instantly, despite having a LONG allen and making sure that it was seated all the way in. What a massive pain in the arse!

Has that happened to anyone else and if so how did you remove the heatshield bolt?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I think i'm going to have to remove the turbo from the underside. The 6mm allen bolt (lower one just above manifold) rounded almost instantly, despite having a LONG allen and making sure that it was seated all the way in. What a massive pain in the arse!

Has that happened to anyone else and if so how did you remove the heatshield bolt?
You can't remove the turbo without removing that bolt. That bolt screws into the head of the motor. If it is really fubar'ed you're going to have a helluvatime trying to get it out. A local (well known) shop technician told me about the first time he did that he ended up spending most of his day cutting out the headshield so he could remove the bolt and turbo...

RichBGTI

Ready to race!
Saw a video on YouTube where the guy removed turbo from underside and left heatshield in place. Going to try removing that damn bolt again in a while... Hopefully better luck this time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichBGTI

Ready to race!
So brute force prevailed. Removed what bolts I could from the heatshield and then fatigued the shield until it broke off. I'll deal with the bolt once the turbo is off and can access more freely and replace heatshield. Tried a torx and bigger hex hammered in to no success.

Got a screw extraction kit coming tomorrow so will give that a pop.

Got the 5 manifold bolts loosened and with the heat shield out the way. Can see and with relative ease get to the downpipe studs with a socket, so things are looking up!

Last edited:

RichBGTI

Ready to race!
So that plug.

Different position on TSI. It's between cylinder 3 and 4 around the same height as the pic above.

Once the the turbo was off, I was able to get the plug out. I could see what it may have been taken out at some point in the past and was already a bit rounded off which prevent the hex from fully seating. Was able to hammer in a hex and was fine. Hard to check when everything is in the way.

hammering in an XZN bit does the job too!

mto386

Ready to race!
So that plug.

Different position on TSI. It's between cylinder 3 and 4 around the same height as the pic above.
That is a TSI and it is between cylinder 3 & 4. It's a picture of the back of the engine with a mirror.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
^^ for those and the bolt holding the banjo on the fluid line to the turbo it's best to use a triple square set with some kind of hex pattern on the bit just before the socket end. What I did was to put the M(something) into the bolt, then used a 10mm crescent wrench to torque the M(something) bit.

Edit: like so:

Sincerely, XGC75

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
^^ for those and the bolt holding the banjo on the fluid line to the turbo it's best to use a triple square set with some kind of hex pattern on the bit just before the socket end. What I did was to put the M(something) into the bolt, then used a 10mm crescent wrench to torque the M(something) bit.

Edit: like so:

Sincerely, XGC75
Nice! I have the this kit per this thread: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SX10AG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so that should definitely work. What other tricks you got for this install!? :D
Ordered my long reach ball head hex socket set for the 6mm...
Just from reading everything I feel like when the heat shield comes off it should just rain beer from all cylinders in celebration.

EDIT. Holy crap...I see you're in SW Michigan. Where at? I'm 20 minutes from the boarder.