GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: MDI update walkthrough

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Here is a quick walkthrough on how to update your MDI interface to the most recent firmware revision. The procedure is really easy and straight forward. But now here is the legal mumbo jumbo:
I am not responsible for any damages to your car or computer due to computer viruses, acts of god, electrical shorts, etc.
Now onto the good stuff...

This update helps alleviate the following issues when using the AUX input for devices such as an IPOD.
During the 3 years ive owned this car my IPOD interface was not the most reliable. Occasionally the MDI interface would disconnect my ipod and I would have to unplug it two to three times to get it to re-connect. Then more often than not it would not display the correct song playing, it would display the name of the song that was playing previously. I finally got fed up with dealing with these issues and ordered a MDI to USB cable from keffervw.

You will need the following parts:
1. MDI to female USB adaptor
vw part # 000 051 446 B

2. USB drive formatted as FAT32

1. go to the following website:
http://www.my-gti.com/3148/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrades
These are the following updates for the MDI interface released by VW

1. This was released during week 33 of 2009 Firmware rev. 090. If you have an early 2010 GTI you will have this at the start so continue on to the next updates
http://www.my-gti.com/1915/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-kw33

2. This was released during week 22 of 2010 Firmware rev. 111.
http://www.my-gti.com/2491/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-0111-kw22-2010

3. This was released during week 22 of 2011 firmware rev. 150
http://www.my-gti.com/3009/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-0111-kw22-2011

4. This was released during week 22 of 2011 firmware rev. 240
http://www.my-gti.com/3482/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-0240-kw22-2011

5. This was released during week 22 of 2012 firmware rev. 530
http://www.my-gti.com/3486/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-firmware-upgrade-0530-0546-kw22-2012
THIS WILL NOT WORK ON YOUR MDI IF YOUR CAR WAS MADE BEFORE week 22 of 2012 so this link is more of a placeholder than an actual download link.

Now onto the install:
1. Make sure your USB drive is formatted as FAT16 or FAT32. If it is not you will have to use your windows based PC to format it. Typically all 4-8GB USB drives are formatted as FAT32 so you might not have to format it.
NOTE: if your laptop/PC only has the options of formatting in NTFS or exFAT then you will need to download a FAT32 formatter
I used the following link for a home version of a formatter:
http://download.cnet.com/MiniAide-Fat32-Formatter/3000-2094_4-75701815.html

2. Once the USB drive is formatted you will have to download the updates. Since my car is a 2010, built in 11/2009 I had the lowest firmware available so I started with firmware rev. 111. I downloaded from the links i posted above and downloaded it to the USB drive. Once its downloaded you will need to change the file name from mdi.bin.kwxx-20xx.enc to mdi.bin.enc, you might not see the .enc at the end of the file, this is fine, just make sure the mdi.bin name is shown.
NOTE: DO NOT TRY TO OPEN THIS FILE, IT WILL CORRUPT IT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-DOWNLOAD.

3. Once the file has been renamed, unplug the USB from the computer.

4. Install the USB to MDI adaptor to your MDI interface under your arm rest. If you have the IPOD adaptor already installed then remove it.

5. Turn your car to accessory mode and turn on your head unit.

6. Plug in the USB cable and turn the head unit to AUX mode

7. After about 5 seconds you will see the display change to "Software update"

8. After a minute you will see the display change to "Update complete"

9. Remove the USB drive from the cable and re-install to the computer

10. Delete the file and move onto the next firmware revision.

NOTE:
I did updates 2 & 3 to my MDI. Update 4 was not able to be downloaded. However when I checked my firmware it showed as firmware rev. 240. So whatever it did it seemed to update it to the newest firmware.

Impressions:
The MDI interface was much faster than the original firmware
Song changes were working properly with no hickups as of yet.

Any questions feel free to PM me

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
It doesn't look like the most recent firmware is available...anyone have a link??

0530-0546 KW22-2012

formul8

My GLI farts
How can I tell if the latest revisions were already made by the dealer? I had them update the radio firmware a couple times already.

I can't stand the UI of this radio screen and having the SAT presets change by pushing that button like the '13 Passat loaner I just had would be nice.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
It doesn't look like the most recent firmware is available...anyone have a link??

0530-0546 KW22-2012

That firmware will only work if your car was manufactured after the release date. For most of us that is not the case. However i will continue searching.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
How can I tell if the latest revisions were already made by the dealer? I had them update the radio firmware a couple times already.

I can't stand the UI of this radio screen and having the SAT presets change by pushing that button like the '13 Passat loaner I just had would be nice.

The radio firmware & MDI firmware are two different things. You will have to either scan the car with vagcom. or ask the dealer directly if they updated the MDI software

bkord123

Passed Driver's Ed
So this update takes care of the skip at the beginning of every iPod track? That's annoying as hell.

You get that too!?!?!? I do and not only does it drive me crazy, no one else seems to have the problem. Every song jumps to :02 and starts playing from there. If I bring it to the dealer, they'll do an MDI update? I have a '12 base which I think is the RCD310.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
You get that too!?!?!? I do and not only does it drive me crazy, no one else seems to have the problem. Every song jumps to :02 and starts playing from there. If I bring it to the dealer, they'll do an MDI update? I have a '12 base which I think is the RCD310.
Rcd,rns, doesn't matter it's your mdi interface that is the issue. Some dealers know what this update is, others don't it's hit or miss. Best way is to find someone local who knows what to do.

quality_sound

hmm.......
That stupid skip at the beginning of each track and the MDI losing the iPod all the time is the reason I pulled it out in the first place.

How much is the USB adapter cable? I want to update mine now. I might put it back in the car.

Last edited:

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
That stupid skit at the beginning of each track and the MDI losing the iPod all the time is the reason I pulled it out in the first place.

How much is the USB adapter cable? I want to update mine now. I might put it back in the car.

I think i got mine for like $25 from Keffer VW. You might be able to get it cheaper on ebay. Ever since updating to the newest revision on my RCD510 I have had ZERO issues

falanku

Ready to race!
I actually bought a usb cable from eBay for like $12 a while ago, works perfectly !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
where can we download rev 530? I can't install the one prior to that because it's already installed! :(