GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: MDI update walkthrough

gmoney67

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the writeup! Really appreciated.

Do you know where to check with the vagcom to see the current MDI firmware version?

quality_sound

hmm.......
Should be in the sound system or radio tab. I don't have my cable yet but I'm going to check my revision in a few minutes. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Edit: It's in the 2E Media Player 3 tab. Mine is already revision 530 but ti sucks ass. Hopefully the link to 546 will be up soon because I hate 530 with a passion.

Last edited:

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Should be in the sound system or radio tab. I don't have my cable yet but I'm going to check my revision in a few minutes. I'll let you know when I figure it out.

Edit: It's in the 2E Media Player 3 tab. Mine is already revision 530 but ti sucks ass. Hopefully the link to 546 will be up soon because I hate 530 with a passion.
I dont think you can get the 546 updates for any car manufactured before 2013. So its more like if you have it, you got it from the factory, vw will not be providing any downloads

quality_sound

hmm.......
Mine is a 2013 but it's a July 12 build. I REALLY want to put the RCD-510 back in but the absolutely HORRID iPod functionality will keep that from happening.

kec789

Ready to race!
About 2 months ago I did the latest firmware I could find at that same site and I still get that skipping at the beginning of each song. It did allow me to upgrade to whatever it was but again, it didnt' fix that.

EDIT: I didn't roll up through each firmware like the OP suggests. I went righ to the newest revision I could use. I wonder if that's why skipping issue didn't get fixed? However, it did say update complete...???

Are you sure you have to roll up and install each one until you get to the latest? I may try the roll up method when I get home for shits and giggles...

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
About 2 months ago I did the latest firmware I could find at that same site and I still get that skipping at the beginning of each song. It did allow me to upgrade to whatever it was but again, it didnt' fix that.

EDIT: I didn't roll up through each firmware like the OP suggests. I went righ to the newest revision I could use. I wonder if that's why skipping issue didn't get fixed? However, it did say update complete...???

Are you sure you have to roll up and install each one until you get to the latest? I may try the roll up method when I get home for shits and giggles...

Once you are at a later firmware you cannot go back. Its weird. I do not have any issues with my ipod interface. No skipping issues, no track display issues, yet you guys are... Im stumped. Maybe try going to the dealer to have them flash the RCD510 firmware. That service can only be done at a dealer and takes 2hrs I think

jtek55

put a post up here before about my MDI.

I only got the car last week and cant get it to work at all with the rcd 310 or rcd510 installed :(

could someone help me here?

i actually wondered if it wired up so i removed it tonight and its all plugged in

when i use it with an ipod lead, usb or even just my Aux in none of them register with my head unit at all. Does anyone know where the other end of these wires plug into the loom? would love to get this working

I had this same issue. Actually if I pushed/held the plug at the MDI connection to the passenger side while a device was connected it would make it work until I let go. I figured it was a bad cable so I tried it with a buddy of mine's cable but still the same issue. Turned out to be a short in the MDI port somewhere. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the actual MDI unit and it has worked perfect ever since.

jtek55

It's weird though. Now that my MDI has been replaced I can't run any of the updates. When I put the file on a USB key and connect it the radio only displays "No audio files found". Nothing about an update or that it's a newer version, nothing...

quality_sound

hmm.......
Once you are at a later firmware you cannot go back. Its weird. I do not have any issues with my ipod interface. No skipping issues, no track display issues, yet you guys are... Im stumped. Maybe try going to the dealer to have them flash the RCD510 firmware. That service can only be done at a dealer and takes 2hrs I think

The ONLY issues mine ever has are losing the iPod and it skipping the first second or so of every song. Sonically, it seems to be just as good as my Alpine, just weaker outputs. I want to use the OEM because the BT is so good on it. Also, Pandora with an iPhone works EXACTLY the same on the Alpine and RCD-510. You start Pandora on the iPhone and everything displays on the HU. The only thing the Alpine does is let you give thumbs up and down.

Barry_doc

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so got mine sorted today!

As my car didnt come with factory Bluetooth it has a parrot kit fitted. When it was fitted the plug for the mdi wasn't changed form original loom to the parrot one!

Figured it out after alot of head scratching lol

Can I ask, does anyone have an mdi lead to iPhone 5? Does this charge them.

Last edited:

andros9000

Gonna give this a go as I don't want to have the dealership investigate further and having to cover possible out-of-warranty issues.

Problem is my iPhone 5 isn't recognized through the MDI interface after getting the correct cable from the salesman for free. It charges fine but doesn't show up on the MDI. Does anyone know if doing this firmware update will allow for the iPhone 5 to work? I haven't actually tested an older iPhone (I have the 30-pin cable as well). I found the MDI to USB adapter for $11 on eBay so I'm hoping this will work, I'd really like to navigate my iPhone music through the steering wheel instead of on the phone while playing over bluetooth.

Can I ask, does anyone have an mdi lead to iPhone 5? Does this charge them.

Yes, the MDI to iPhone 5 cable will charge the phone.

GTIManny

Can't get mdi port to work

Hey guys just picked up a used mk6 everything's working great but the aux port and mdi port aren't picking up signals tried new cables and new devices nothing's working what might be the issue and anyone in toronto that can help with this situation

andros9000

Hey guys just picked up a used mk6 everything's working great but the aux port and mdi port aren't picking up signals tried new cables and new devices nothing's working what might be the issue and anyone in toronto that can help with this situation

Having the same issue. Waiting for my MDI->USB adapter to come in so I can attempt a firmware update and see if the issue is resolved. The dealer wanted "a couple hundred" for the update. They wanted to rip the stereo apart looking for bad wiring or something but since I found the cable for $12 I figured I'd try an at home approach rather than wait for the dealer.

I'll let you know if the firmware update solves the MKVI GTI iPhone 5 compatibility issue.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Having the same issue. Waiting for my MDI->USB adapter to come in so I can attempt a firmware update and see if the issue is resolved. The dealer wanted "a couple hundred" for the update. They wanted to rip the stereo apart looking for bad wiring or something but since I found the cable for $12 I figured I'd try an at home approach rather than wait for the dealer.

I'll let you know if the firmware update solves the MKVI GTI iPhone 5 compatibility issue.

I remember reading that apple firmware is sketchy when interfacing to the mdi port. Vw blames apple, apple blames vw