GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Update

zrickety

The Fixer
Nice. Is that the bolt spacer tool from Snap-on?

elcroato1

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice job Dave80, and here is what happens if you screw up and the sprocket moves:

funkymcbain

Ready to race!
What 2 special tools are you talking about? I only see the one counter hold tool.

My car sounds like that when she starts up :( I always wondered if that was normal, second owner of this thing. I think I'll ask the guy at the dealer if his 2013 sounds the same and if not looks like this is in my future.

Is there a reset procedure for the engine mounts?

zrickety

The Fixer
You should just mark your mounts and bolts with a paint pen, should go back fine.
The 2 special tools for this are the counter tool T10355 and the 'thrust piece' T10368. Snap on is only place I've seen the spacer, got my counter tool from Neuspeed for about $80.

I'm going to tackle this tomorrow, wish me luck.

Edit- this is another link for the most of the job:
http://volkswagen.workshop-manuals.com/golf-mk6/index.php?id=4237

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
You should just mark your mounts and bolts with a paint pen, should go back fine.
The 2 special tools for this are the counter tool T10355 and the 'thrust piece' T10368. Snap on is only place I've seen the spacer, got my counter tool from Neuspeed for about $80.

I'm going to tackle this tomorrow, wish me luck.

Edit- this is another link for the most of the job:
http://volkswagen.workshop-manuals.com/golf-mk6/index.php?id=4237

Hi,

Where do we get these two tools from? http://vw.snapon.com/ is good enough?

Does the HStuning kit have all that we need?

I noticed that they don't include replacement bolts for the cover, they aren't needed?

Based on this, they are:

TENSIONER [Part#: 06K109467K] $53.44
BOLT cover bolts x15 [Part#: N91096702] $0.38
SCREW crank center bolt x1 [Part#: WHT001760] $2.68
SEALANT [Part#: D174003A2] $23.79
TIMINGCASE cover [Part#: 06H109210Q] $106.14

^ But, he also doesn't mention the engine mount bolts that HStuning kit includes.

zrickety

The Fixer
The kit has everything, but you're right the cover bolts get reused. Snap on is good for the tools, but they will tell you to find a local snap on guy. I sent you a PM.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I get the rattle noise every semi-cold startup.

Shall I park the car for 10 days until I can install the parts?

I can manage using another car if this is better for my GTI..

PS am I doing bad by pushing the car? does this effect anything at all?

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
BUMP for questions:

1. When removing the crank pulley bolt, are you supposed to steadily hold the pulley with the VW tool, which removing the bolt with a gun?

Isn't that going to naturally rotate the pulley and effect timing? easy not to?

2. If the pulley or chain is moved somehow, is it better to rotate the crank pulley after to TDC or original orientation? I though we could mark the pulley and the cover with a white pen, so we put it back the way it was before removing it.

3. I got the tensioner, do we remove the BIG METAL CLIP after installing the tensioner? I saw a small circular metal thing on the piston, do we remove that or keep it?

dave80

Go Kart Champion
The counter hold vw tool will not the let the pulley move when taking the crank pulley bolt out if used properly. Do not remove the small pin on the cylinder, only the big clip once you have new tensioner installed. I can't help you with the tdc marking since I actually had two marks notched on the pulley, so look at it very closely.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
The counter hold vw tool will not the let the pulley move when taking the crank pulley bolt out if used properly. Do not remove the small pin on the cylinder, only the big clip once you have new tensioner installed. I can't help you with the tdc marking since I actually had two marks notched on the pulley, so look at it very closely.

One person holds pulley and other removes bolt? Possibly without air tools?

Sent from my iPhone with typos

dave80

Go Kart Champion
One person holds pulley and other removes bolt? Possibly without air tools?

Sent from my iPhone with typos

I did it by myself with my hands only and without any air tools. Just remember to remove the transmission pendulum mount when you raise and lower the engine to remove the engine mount bracket.