GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Xenon Bulb replacement

Korydogg

Ready to race!
?

Are the photos not showing up for anyone else or is it just me? I need to replace my driver-side Xenon bulb, and this guide looks like it's exactly what I need if the pictures were working. All the videos and guides I'm finding elsewhere are for MkV GTIs. :(

I cant see pics either

sailonset

The years move on and at 90,000+ miles my right (of course) HID burned out. Two hours to do that one and 10 minutes to do the other! Thanks much for this (still) only DIY on the web.
Another trick to note is that there is another way for the bulb to come out: down the inside of the fender. Doubt if it can go back in that way. It will land on top of a strut you can reach from the wheel well (with some covers loosened). I used the old bulb to practice the reassembly.
Best,
dge

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
My driver side HID bulb burned out at ~8y/80k miles. I decided to replace both. As others have said, the driver side took much longer (1 hr). The passenger side took maybe 10 min. No space on the driver side.

I used 4300k Osram OEM bulbs.

Pbb

Thank you for the guide. It was difficult but eventually successful. This was my second try. Gave up last time and took it in to North Vancouver Volkswagen on Marine drive. Charged $600 to change the bulb including labour and part. Talked them down to $500. Will never go back there. They also messed me up by swapping the new bulb from the battery side to the right. Of course, 3 months later the old one burnt out as well (now on the difficult side of the car). Anyway, was very motivated this time. Thanks for the instructions!!

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Removing the headlight assemblies is unnecessary, although it gives you a little bit more finger room. Disconnecting the battery is unnecessary too, unless you take the battery cover off, because the ballast connector is grounded and will short out on the starter lead. Ask me how I know.

RSwan

The driver’s side removal is easier if you take the bulb out before removing the connector. On my 2011 MKVI the bulb turns 45 degrees to remove, not 90.

I’m pretty sure it’s fine to manually rotate the low beam to the left, which also gives more space. I can’t say for sure because it turns out the fuse box is powered even without the keys in the car, and if (when) the low beam cable touches a powered fuse box terminal your headlight smokes a little then no longer does any AFS functions.

The owner’s manual (for my car at least) has decent instructions on replacing the bulb. But sadly not the complete headlight assembly.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for the write up. Helped me a lot. The driver side is bulb is alot harder. Tight space. Fuse box is Right there. I actually made sparks while removing the bulb lol. So go ahead and remove the battery negative terminal from the battery to reduce chances of spark. I didn’t disconnect the battery.

be prepared to use your fingers. It’s tight.
Passenger side bulb is alot easier.