GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Door rattle after polishing

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
I just polished my 2012 GTI 4-door with a DA polisher for the first time. Looks great, but now the front doors make a noise when I go over a bumpy road at low speeds. Did I knock or vibrate something loose? Can I fix it? What should I look for?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
lol sounds like it. remove your inner door panel and reach around along the bottom; guessing some clip or B.S. vibrated loose and is now bouncing around in the cavity

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Having taken the doors apart several times I can say that it's very unlikely that polishing broke anything loose. There isn't really a lot going on in the doors that a polisher could have been responsible for. Perhaps the timing was just coincidental, but I can't think of anything that could have been directly caused by detailing.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Check the bolts for the exterior door skin the run along both sides and the bottom...although I cant imagine a DA polisher would have vibrated them loose unless its been off before and wasn't tightened back to spec.

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
I cleaned the seals and the sections of the body that are in contact with the seals when the doors close with detailing spray. The sound is completely gone!

To clarify, it was more of a creak than a rattle. It happened when I went over bumps at a low speed. It sounded like someone was bending something made or plastic or rubber.

It must have been a little grit from the polish rubbing between the rubber of the seals and the metal of the body.

Thanks again!