GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Double light in trunk

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
This was “a thing” when I had my mk5 and figured it would be doable in the mk7 also. I’m not great at making DIYs so bare with my sloppy attempt (lol). Feel free to use this guide but do it at your own risk as I am not going to be held responsible for anything resulting from it.

I already had a Ziza LED from ecstuning on the passenger side but sometimes a little extra light couldn’t hurt.

The LED bulb/housing I’m using was given to me. It fits and works on the passenger side so I guess you could just get one off AliExpress like this one:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOSCLcp

Instead of splicing into the existing trunk light harness for power and ground I ordered aharness which is intended/sold for adding rear footwell lights which is a plug and play solution making it simpler.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPthgUH

If you want to go one step further and get the “OEM finish look”. Get one of these pieces which is normally fitted in the existing passenger side (unfortunately I don’t think Vw sells this piece by itself, so you’ll have to get it from a wrecked car or something)...thought I’d mention it for the neat freaks out there lol.
DEA8DA44-2219-44F6-8B59-156A7FFBF615.jpeg

EFC28093-44AE-4C69-96FE-2DC8190C0C4F.jpeg

First thing I did was I clipped off some of the plastics.

Before:
F67BD148-9F4A-444D-85C5-7577999CF997.jpeg

After:
6FB298D6-EC7F-4005-AB38-561BA909DBE6.jpeg

Last edited:

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
Tried to use some strong plastic bonding Gorilla glue. Gave it a little more than 24hrs to fully cure. I think it worked out okay, not fully satisfied but it might just work good enough.

After glue had fully hardened:
9514249C-F5EA-433A-90C0-1E05672C13A7.jpeg

Mocking the light in place (ignore how not so straight it appears as it isn’t finished with it):
5C44A98C-6D02-4E97-97C1-F72D36050621.jpeg

Last edited:

Rollback50k

Yeshhhhhhhhh
Update
Got the harness today. Quality doesn’t seem bad for ~$7 shipped. It’s long enough and makes it all plug and play!

Female connector goes to original male connector on passenger side of the car harness, shorter male connector goes to passenger light, other male connector goes to new driver side light fixture:
75DAD49F-3478-4FA9-9207-FEF4CD9D995C.jpeg

mocked up the lights to make sure it worked as described in the AliExpress description:
9F25371D-2325-4695-A1F5-E25188A344DA.jpeg

Ran the harness across the top through the headliner. just remove the plastic panel that runs horizontally across the headliner under the 2 accordion rubber boots that you see beaten hatch door and hatch car frame. Once removed just find the safest way to run the new harness across.
Picture of what you’ll see when you pop the plastic panel off:
02845960-E020-4C58-94D8-E4DF1A19120E.jpeg

Connect and enjoy (lol)
DAB18D14-6CF2-4ACC-B01E-C2B2C3B2D3C6.jpeg

Also, I ended adding a small ziptie to hold the bulb/housing in place. Will revisit this in the future:
937B5142-26F7-4685-9FB2-AD4CA87D5892.jpeg

Last edited:

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Great write up! I just did this little mod today and loved the results. When cutting out the spot for the new light, if you start the cut on an intersection of the plastic vent things, the new light will be able to solidly pop right in place with no zip tie needed (hopefully that makes sense).

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I made a little diagram here where double lines indicate where you need to cut. The cuts on the right of the image should be approximately flush with the the intersecting slats. When you insert the new light, rotate it such that the metal retaining clip faces the rear of the car.

To make the routing the wire easier during the install, you can partially pop out the C pillar plastic covers by just pulling them out.

light.jpg

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I made a little diagram here where double lines indicate where you need to cut. The cuts on the right of the image should be approximately flush with the the intersecting slats. When you insert the new light, rotate it such that the metal retaining clip faces the rear of the car.

To make the routing the wire easier during the install, you can partially pop out the C pillar plastic covers by just pulling them out.
Awesome this helps a lot Thank you!! Which LED light did you use? it looks a bit bigger than a footwell one.