GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Down pipe, flex pipe failure....

fatvdub

Passed Driver's Ed
So...
Had my car in the dealership for troubleshooting and finally a clutch job (I live in Alaska and have no options). long story short, found two bolts missing on the bottom part of the flex pipe and decided to replace the gasket. Pulled the pipe out and found my cars modifying its self!! 3" flex pipe to 1" conversion... ended up pulling out the down pipe after this discovery. Also found the flange that connects to the turbo cracked and piping cracked in spots as well. This down pipe probably has 8yrs on it so I can not complain.
20220318_115309.jpg

GolNat

Autocross Champion
What brand dp is it?

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
So I got under the car and it looks like the flex sections are slightly concave. They're even, so not pinching inward but they are more internal than the pipe itself (slight apple core-ing) which I don't recall being a thing. This is making me want to drop the DP and replace it tbh, but I'm so close to just selling this car, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

fatvdub

Passed Driver's Ed
No real symptoms... just knew I had to replace the gasket... it just snow balled from there... I had an exhaust shop weld another flex pipe on and yeah it didn't line up. Ended up up buying a new one from CTS Turbo that was on sale $429 shipped to Alaska. Their system uses slip over pipes, fine. But prefer the bolt together flanges. CTS Turbo uses a flex pipe designed for high heat turbo cars which is evident unlike the 42 draft designs downpipe. However 42 draft designs said they use the lined flex pipe on their complete systems.
If you have a 42 Draft Designs down pipe check the flex pipe especially if its older they said they don't last to much longer than 5 years.

Last edited: