GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG daily driver

KingK3n87

Passed Driver's Ed
Out of interest on a normal day to day how do you like to drive your DSG?

I find myself mostly in drive mode. When coming onto a motorway I put it in sport mode. Then back to auto.

Would i be right in saying there is 4 ways you can drive it.

Auto drive . Sport. Shifter and paddles all different driving experience.

How do you drive yours ?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Around town in drive mode, when the conditions warrant I'll use the paddles to drop a gear or two. On a nice twisty back road I'll put it in sport mode or manual mode if I'm feeling frisky.

KingK3n87

Passed Driver's Ed
Question. So i have it in sport mode . The revs seem to want to go to the max every time. If i shift up with paddles the S goes off the screen . Question is , is it still is sport or has it gone back into drive mode ??

KingK3n87

Passed Driver's Ed
Second question why would you ever want to turn traction control off? Ive never pressed that button

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Question. So i have it in sport mode . The revs seem to want to go to the max every time. If i shift up with paddles the S goes off the screen . Question is , is it still is sport or has it gone back into drive mode ??

sport mode sucks, you would use the shifter up /down in this mode. Paddles override d or s, this would be considered manual mode. @jay745 would say that all DSG guys love the D

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I love my DSG. And yes, I know how to drive manual, did it for years, lol.... The DSG shifts fast, and I love the ''DSG farts'' you hear as it rips thru the gears when you get on it. (Calm down, Jay745 :ROFLMAO: )
Around town in drive mode, when the conditions warrant I'll use the paddles to drop a gear or two.
Yes, I do this too. Really, I use the paddles way more than the gear shift, and I don't like sport mode much. It makes the engine seem like it's laboring too much, at least to me.

KingK3n87

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a bit mad tho even in drive the DSG. I'm going 60km/h the other day it has me in 6th. Car in front of me turns off so I plant it. And it drops me into 2nd. Took me by surprise as it was wet out. Never in a manual would i of dropped it into 2nd at 60 . Mad car. Love it tho.

Phur

Autocross Champion
My experience with traction control is that, with my old APR stage 1 tune, if I am trying to make a tight spot in traffic and break the tires loose too much it will cut fuel and fall flat on its face. If I don't back off of the throttle it will do it a few times before I am going fast enough for the tires to hold. Therefore, I find it much faster and safer and healthier for the car to turn it off if I am really going to have to get into the throttle from a stop.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Well....the DSG will probably save you from a 'money shift.' That when you downshift at speed, into too low of a gear, and your engine sends a piston flying thru the block. Saw the results of someone who did that.......ugh. Ouch. The DSG will downshift low but not too low.

KingK3n87

Passed Driver's Ed
My experience with traction control is that, with my old APR stage 1 tune, if I am trying to make a tight spot in traffic and break the tires loose too much it will cut fuel and fall flat on its face. If I don't back off of the throttle it will do it a few times before I am going fast enough for the tires to hold. Therefore, I find it much faster and safer and healthier for the car to turn it off if I am really going to have to get into the throttle from a stop.
Don't fully get you. Come again 🤦‍♂️

Phur

Autocross Champion
Don't fully get you. Come again 🤦‍♂️
When you have more than stock power, it breaks the tires loose much easier. When you have tire spin, the engine cuts fuel to get the tires to grab. After you regain traction, you are given all of the fuel, which breaks the tires loose again and repeats the cycle.

KingK3n87

Passed Driver's Ed
When you have more than stock power, it breaks the tires loose much easier. When you have tire spin, the engine cuts fuel to get the tires to grab. After you regain traction, you are given all of the fuel, which breaks the tires loose again and repeats the cycle.
So is traction control good or bad . I leave it on. I'm yet to turn it off. As in a fwd it doesn't seem logical to turn it off