GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG gearbox, 2012 TDI, 7 speed automatic; problem with 1st gear engaging

kes

I have a VW Golf Plus SE TDI S-A, 1.6 diesel, 7 speed auto.

It was manufactured in 2012 and registered in November 2012.

According to the V5C it is type 1KP and variant ACCAYCX0.

I beleive it is a mark 6, though if i'm wrong i'm sure someone on here will quickly tell me.

It's got 55,000 miles on the clock.

I bought it a few months ago.

There are two things that give me some concern:

1. When I move the gear stick from park to drive, take my foot off the brake and press the accelerator, then​
as the first gear clutch engages the clutch shudders and seems to slip for a few moments as it gets a grip of the first gear.​
It feels a bit spongy. The shuddering then stops, as it engages properly, and all is fine.​
It's not wobbling itself out of the gearbbox but the shuddering and engagement spongyness is noticable.​
This only happens when starting from a stand still.​
If I start the car on a cold day and leave it running for a while outside the house to warm up before driving it, the spongy shuddering does not happen.​
I've no idea why that might be.​
2. One other thing. The reverse gear engagement is a lot more spongy than the first gear engagement. Though again, it only lasts a few moments, and once the clutch bites it is absoluteley fine.​

All the other gear changes are flawless, and in all other respects the car is flawless.

Has anyone got any ideas what is causing this spongyness / shuddering during clutch engagement?

.. would a gearbox oil change help?
.. are there any adjustments on the gearbox that would help? .. perhaps via the computer or an access hatch?

These two issues are not a problem though it feels like they could become a concern in the future.

Is this something I should worry about?

This is my first automatic, so I have no idea if this is something that should be expected from a DSG gearbox.

Last edited:

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
DSG oil is supposed to be changed at 40k. I would suggest a fluid change before going any farther.