GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Trans making noise in 5th and 6th gear

Triplett

I have a 2013 GTI w/ DSG, 77k miles. In the past month my transmission has started to make a grinding/rattling noise at the bottom of 5th when coasting and under light load. This also occurs in 6th, but to a lesser degree. When under load, the trans has a whine to it, hard to explain, but the moment it starts to shift to 5th, the noise appears. This continues into 6th and can be heard all the time.

I am looking for some direction. The dealer tells me the trans needs to be replaced, and since I didn't get the 40k service at a dealer, they say VWoA will not help me. I will still attempt in hopes they can do something. I don't want to spend the 4k to replace the trans when I having the typical issues of having to clean the intake and the car starting to be a rattle box.

Also, it seems this condition is fairly rare as I cannot find anything on the forums about this. There is a little bit in one of the TDi forums, but only on thread.

Thanks for the help.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Did the dealer give you a reason as to why it would need to be replaced? Did you have the DSG serviced at all, if not I would do the DSG service at a reputable shop first before even discussing replacing the entire unit.

Triplett

I have had it serviced at 50k. I couldn't get it in the shop until then. It was done at a shop that specializes in euro cars. The policy from VW is they do not open the transmission up, they just replace it. So if the noise is coming from the transmission there is nothing they can do.

They were suppose to do the service today, but are saying since it is only in two gears and nothing else in the others, it probably wouldn't help, damage would have been done.

Vroomer

Banned
So are they denying you the warranty on it because you didn't do the DSG oil change on time, or simply because you didn't do it at the dealer?

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I have had it serviced at 50k. I couldn't get it in the shop until then. It was done at a shop that specializes in euro cars. The policy from VW is they do not open the transmission up, they just replace it. So if the noise is coming from the transmission there is nothing they can do.

They were suppose to do the service today, but are saying since it is only in two gears and nothing else in the others, it probably wouldn't help, damage would have been done.

I'm a little more optimistic than that. I think that the Euro shop you took the car too probably didn't use the VW/Audi DSG specific fluid and that's what is causing the issues in the top gears. I can't imagine there is damage to the actual gearing, unless something got into the oil...which in that case, you would have experienced issues as soon as you did the fluid change.

The reason I say this is, I had a similar issue with a transmission (Honda though) where I was getting shudder in top gear under light acceleration and coasting at speed...I did a flush with the appropriate fluid and it went away without issue.

Triplett

So are they denying you the warranty on it because you didn't do the DSG oil change on time, or simply because you didn't do it at the dealer?

I am beyond warranty, so that is out of the question. Just seeing as this is a rare issue I figured there might be and easier resolution than a new trans.

Triplett

I'm a little more optimistic than that. I think that the Euro shop you took the car too probably didn't use the VW/Audi DSG specific fluid and that's what is causing the issues in the top gears. I can't imagine there is damage to the actual gearing, unless something got into the oil...which in that case, you would have experienced issues as soon as you did the fluid change.

The reason I say this is, I had a similar issue with a transmission (Honda though) where I was getting shudder in top gear under light acceleration and coasting at speed...I did a flush with the appropriate fluid and it went away without issue.

Hmm, that is the first I have heard of that, and a fluid change fixing that. I might take a look at getting changed. Unfortunately I have been a little disappointed lately in VW. Lots of rattles and I have to replace my intake due to excessive carbon build up.

Triplett

Bumping to the top.

I have a case in with VWoA. Hoping to get some idea of what is going on tomorrow. Has anyone had an success with getting help, or parts out of warranty for an issue?