GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU swap / IMMO Defeat Question

imgoingplaces

Hope all is well, could really use some help

A little backstory.

My vehicle would intermittently not start, nobody could figure out what the issue was, they spent weeks testing wires and finally determined it was likely a bad ECU .

I bought a used ECU from a junkyard in PA, after two weeks of waiting we open the box to find a Nissan ECU, they apologize and after 5 more days tell us they don’t actually have the correct part. We find another junkyard who tells us they have the matching ECU, after another week we realize it’s again the wrong part, at least this time is was off a VW, but the last digit of the part number was off.

The programmer says he might be able to clone it but it may not accept , I call back junkyard number two, they tell us we can exchange the wrong VW ECU and they’ll send us a new one tomorrow . But at this point I’m just done.

The programmer told me to find the right part with the correct MED number. I was able to find all the matching numbers from a tuner who has an IMMO defeated ECU which is an exact match to the stock.

It costs a lot more than the junkyards were charging. If I buy it, what exactly needs to happen for it to work? Does the programmer still need to match it to my cluster or is it plug and play? Would really appreciate some guidance . Thank you 🙏

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I believe it would be plug and play since the immo is defeated, but I’m not sure if the mileage on your cluster would match. If your programmer hasn’t specifically changed mileage on a Mk6 VW, I would not assume he can do so. The clusters get “married” to the ECU after certain mileage, so it’s not something you can just change with VCDS.