GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ed's Golf 6 HID Replica Headlights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitals

Ready to race!
Morimoto 3five kit arrived today so I took the car apart again to install (it is technically possible to install with the lights on the car, but would be a huge PITA to get the bulbs seated correctly and everything locked in).

Bad news is one of the two ballasts is DOA... should have taken the extra time to test everything before I tore the car apart. Lesson learned. I'm bummed cause I oreded everything 10/5 and finally received everything today after the canbus adapters were on backorder. Luckily I finished up everything 5 minutes before TRS closed and I got through to them on the phone right away and they are sending out a replacement ASAP.

Good news: the 4300k bulbs are MUCH whiter than I was anticipating! Firing up the 4300k hid in one projector and the halogen in the other, it's a night and day difference.

More good news: found out why one light was sitting higher than the other. On the bottom of the housing there is a tab with a little hole that slips into a pin on the bumper support. The hole was not punched out of one of the two lights, so it wasn't seated properly! I completely overlooked this before. So make sure these holes are punched out (I used a screwdriver to pop it out) and these are seated correctly. After putting everything back together (with halogens still), the headlights are purdy and sitting even now :)

Skitals

Ready to race!
Double post...

Skitals

Ready to race!
FINALLY got my replacement TRS ballast and got them installed. I take back what I said earlier... installing the HID kit with the housings installed on the car isn't too bad. Just didn't feel like dropping the bumper again, and risk damaging the housings taking them on and off. I believe I got the bulbs seated good.

I opted to NOT install the canbus harness for now. No errors, and there is no sense needlessly cluttering up the engine bay with extra wires. Install is super clean, mounted the ballasts right to one of the headlight bolts.

I can also confirm the city light LEDs are hardwired on a green PCB. They don't look too bad with the 4300k morimoto bulbs. I thought the 4300k bulbs would be yellower, closer to the halogens, but they are WHITE. Also installed a euro switch so I can run the city lights during the day, mainly to show of Ed's LED tails :)

corz123

Ready to race!
Hello. Brand new gti owner here. Realized 2 days after that I'm an idiot and really should have gotten the xenons. In any case...do you provide any kind of warranty for this? Does this void the factory warranty for the electrical system ?

Is there a step by step guide for someone like me who wants to install this?

MMM.PWR

Ready to race!
I will take pictures of the lights for those interested. I have the oem-like ones with leds.

MMM.PWR

Ready to race!
Picture + coding

My setup:

-OEM LED tails w/o fog.
-Euro switch w/o Auto.
-Ed's OEM-like headlights w/ LEDs.
-TRS D2H: Morimoto Elite HID System (EliteD2H)
...Ballasts Morimoto 3Five (35w)
...Kelvin 6000K
...Wire Harness H7
...Wire Harness Type Standalone Can-Bus

Coding: byte 18 is 1F. DRLs are OFF (for the euro switch to work)

Function: LEDs are the parking lights. Meaning I have the flexibility of:
-LED + tails
-LED + tails + fogs
-LED + tails + fogs + low beams / high beams.

That's all I needed to code. No bulb out errors.. :D

HyeWarrior

Banned
Looks great!

Couple of questions though

If I don't have a euro switch, how would I get them coded for the LED's to act as DRL's?
And how exactly do you hook up the HID kit? Never used one before.

Excuse the noobish questions, I literally just picked up my MK6 about 4 hours ago

MMM.PWR

Ready to race!
Looks great!

Couple of questions though

If I don't have a euro switch, how would I get them coded for the LED's to act as DRL's?
And how exactly do you hook up the HID kit? Never used one before.

Excuse the noobish questions, I literally just picked up my MK6 about 4 hours ago

You don't need the euro switch to set the LEDs as DRLs. Only need it if you want them on with your lowbeams + on w/o low beams. Other coding will be necessary in this case.

Buy the HID kit and I can guide you through it no problem.

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
My setup:

-OEM LED tails w/o fog.
-Euro switch w/o Auto.
-Ed's OEM-like headlights w/ LEDs.
-TRS D2H: Morimoto Elite HID System (EliteD2H)
...Ballasts Morimoto 3Five (35w)
...Kelvin 6000K
...Wire Harness H7
...Wire Harness Type Standalone Can-Bus

Coding: byte 18 is 1F. DRLs are OFF (for the euro switch to work)

Function: LEDs are the parking lights. Meaning I have the flexibility of:
-LED + tails
-LED + tails + fogs
-LED + tails + fogs + low beams / high beams.

That's all I needed to code. No bulb out errors.. :D

I've been on the fence with these.. I have Sukunas retro fits with black housing. some of the first pairs he did. The tape that was used to "seal" up the lights comes loose, bad quaility IMHO. Ive had nothing but problems with ballasts going bad to no light. Poor workmanship with all the connections made for HIDs to work and such. Connectors coming loose. Ground splice loosing up and burning up, very luck car didnt cath fire. But those pictures have me wanting the chrome oem looking ones with 15 LEDs, i have same setupp by the way as far as tails and euro switch so i know you could lend a hand.
Ed have any of these in stock? also mmm.pwr where did you buy kit and with what specifics did you get harness canbus and such?

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
I've been on the fence with these.. I have Sukunas retro fits with black housing. some of the first pairs he did. The tape that was used to "seal" up the lights comes loose, bad quaility IMHO. Ive had nothing but problems with ballasts going bad to no light. Poor workmanship with all the connections made for HIDs to work and such. Connectors coming loose. Ground splice loosing up and burning up, very luck car didnt cath fire. But those pictures have me wanting the chrome oem looking ones with 15 LEDs, i have same setupp by the way as far as tails and euro switch so i know you could lend a hand.
Ed have any of these in stock? also mmm.pwr where did you buy kit and with what specifics did you get harness canbus and such?

Yes, I have these lights available.

I believe he used the kit from TRS - the retrofitsource, probably one of the better places to get aftermarket HID components. More expensive, but good stuff. :)

I'm going to start up a new thread in the Cosmetic Mods section as I'm limited to the number of Posts I can make per add as a Vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.