GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Mount -- Is It Done?

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
We are finishing up production and should be starting to ship in less than two weeks. The issue was we sold 4x what we normally sell this year. We have been trying to keep up with demand, it's been crazy. We do appreciate it though. :)

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
How do I know if my stock mounts are worn? Can't compare my engine's vibration to a brand new stock car side-by-side and I don't know of any other methods.

At 115k miles I presume it's not unlikely they should be on my short list but still would like to somehow confirm.

Thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How do I know if my stock mounts are worn? Can't compare my engine's vibration to a brand new stock car side-by-side and I don't know of any other methods.

At 115k miles I presume it's not unlikely they should be on my short list but still would like to somehow confirm.

Thanks

At 115K you should be thinking of mounts. What trans do you have?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I've done 13k KM's on my BFI stage 1 mounts since the last time I've posted in this thread and I love them!

Last edited:

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I must be the only person who's 034 mounts are still fine. I even made the mistake of thinking the trans mount was smoked and replaced it with the stock mount with BFI insert. After I got the 034 mount out, I saw it wasn't at issue. I replaced it anyway, though. The motor mount is still fine too.

meh.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I'm running the BFI stage 1 engine and transmission (V1 at first, upgraded when V2 was released) mounts... NVH is very tolerable but this will greatly depend on what dogbone setup you use (insert(s), insert(s) + pendulum or a full replacement). Engine mount has been in for over 30,000 miles, I'm convinced it's the best engine mount on the market. However, version 1 of their transmission mount was extremely disappointing honestly... it wasn't any better than a stock transmission mount with an aftermarket insert. Version 2 is MUCH better though.

Rajas31

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 Golf R
So I sent this thread to my local parts dealer because I’ve been looking into upgrading the mounts. I’ve already installed the apr pendulum mount with 034 upper and lower inserts. NVH is noticeable at idle and taking off from first gear. Nothing unbearable of course. So he responds to me after going through this thread with “🤷‍♂️ Go for it. I personally stay away from bfi for my cars. From customer and personal experience, not a fan of poly”. He also said he’s installed several 034 mounts and none have failed. I’ve gone through everyone’s comments on this thread and I would like to think you guys are reliable because most of you have tried 034 mounts, which have failed in some way or another.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So I sent this thread to my local parts dealer because I’ve been looking into upgrading the mounts. I’ve already installed the apr pendulum mount with 034 upper and lower inserts. NVH is noticeable at idle and taking off from first gear. Nothing unbearable of course. So he responds to me after going through this thread with “🤷‍♂️ Go for it. I personally stay away from bfi for my cars. From customer and personal experience, not a fan of poly”. He also said he’s installed several 034 mounts and none have failed. I’ve gone through everyone’s comments on this thread and I would like to think you guys are reliable because most of you have tried 034 mounts, which have failed in some way or another.

I'm convinced that the BFI stage 1 mounts are the best mounts available currently. Just reading this thread from actual users is the best advice you can get.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Feeling contrarian today, so I ordered the ECS engine and transmission mounts.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
At first, I was going to get a BFI engine mount and ECS transmission mount. The BFI transmission insert may or may not fit my car and wasn't about to pull the car apart and have my hopes dashed anyway. I switched to the ECS engine mount because it has the same durometer as BFI, is cheaper and I've had good results with their products.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
At 115K you should be thinking of mounts. What trans do you have?

I am thinking about them haha :)

DSG

Will likely replace them regardless as I'm quite thorough (even replaced the haldex and propshaft flex plates), just curious if there's a way I can tell as there are no obvious signs from inspecting them visually.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The cheap eBay mounts are the same ones, Ecs Uses and jets relabeled theirs... I ran them 24 hours max, they NVH is unreal and I refused to have my 2019 car feel like that, you could hear and fell every mechanical engagement of the trans and take off was just unpleasant. Performance wise it’s was great super solid and direct.

I recently went with BFI stage 1 full mounts on Both trans and engine side. As others have said nvh is not bad, you do hear some added engine sounds transmitting to the motor but they work well.

not the experience with the company for customer service...I did have an issue with the trans side center bolt loosening up and shifting the mount and the driver side mount top half was sitting loose once installed, to where you could move it With you finger. Contacted customer service and they said it was no big deal the trans mount shifted like that and to just straighten and tighten back down, no in the SAME breath - he tells me it’s normal
For the driver side to have pay on some cars, and the idea that the mount is essentially just sitting on the bottom mount with voids in the top is ok( voids in which create the excessive moment with zero resistance in terms of 70a ratings on the poly)

I try to tighten that bolt down to fix the void and to my surprise it’s not possible to tighten it down any more as I break 2 different Allen sockets trying to. Recently they changed the driver side mount to al Allen bolt (looks better) and I think whats happening it’s that bolt is maxed out on its threads so you cannot tighten anymore.

I explained that issue to BFI and again then say the void is fine, but don’t want to address the issue of the bolt threads being maxed out... I told him that the void is still creating the extra un wanted movement and it’s still letting the motor slightly buckle ... He proceeds to tell me the movement issue is not due to the void and something else is wrong with my car, I showed him the vid above where the stock mounts where causing the drivetrain to slap around and he tells me that’s normal and I misdiagnosed my problem... and now still 1-2 months later, I’m still waiting to hear back from them on what to do about the bolt being maxed out.
ended up stuffing some 1/16” sheet pieces of rubber in the mount between the bushing and the top plate, and thats fixed the issue...but for $600 bucks I don’t think that should have been my fix.

I should have got these as the design for a motor mount that has a mounting method that takes a the horizontal loads into account as well is pretty common and proven all around the car industry VS having just a single vertical bolt.

I was not sure about the shipping timing On these when I got then and I was in a rush to get the mounts so I went BFI, but should have just waited.

https://cp-e.com/shop/product/cp-e-xflex-volkswagen-mk7-passenger-side-mount/