GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine swap

SamDaTurk1903

Hello guys im Sam from Toronto ,
I have a 2010 gti and my engine blew because of the timing chain tensioner failure ( at 217k ) and i got a low kms 2016 tiguan engine and swapped it . Engine is the same ( CCTA ) but i have a engine light and when i go to scan it it says im missfiring but the car runs mint no sign of missfire whats so ever everything runs amazing on the car , do you guys think i need to re program the ecu since its a 2010
Ecu and the engine is newer 2016 ?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Yea, something isn't right with it; did you keep the original ECU you had? If so I would think you'd have more than just a light for a mis-fire. What codes exactly did you get? I'm sure some of the guys on here who have done swaps like this will chime in soon with some advice for you.

SamDaTurk1903

You shouldn't have to reprogram anything. Check all the sensors and make sure they're all plugged in, it's easy to miss one under the manifold. Are they intermittent misfires in the scans? If you clear the codes do they come back right away?
Yeah so what happened was , when i first turned the car on ever first time after the swap engine light came on the car kinda shut down on its own but this was all in like the first 10 minutes after the swap , and then when i went to scan it all kinds of codes came up there was even one that said ( unknown fault code ) which was really weird lol, after I cleared the codes car ran great no issues whats so ever but the engine light came on and thats about it all the sensors they are all plugged in

SamDaTurk1903

Yea, something isn't right with it; did you keep the original ECU you had? If so I would think you'd have more than just a light for a mis-fire. What codes exactly did you get? I'm sure some of the guys on here who have done swaps like this will chime in soon with some advice for you.
Yeah i have the original ECU , first time yeah i had a bunch of codes and lights but after clearing them nothing came back ever again except the engine light and the code saying mis-firing but car shows no sign of mis-fire

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
had a similar issue with a misfire code not wanting to go away and the car was driving fine on my gti and my a3, the A3 ended up being 1 fuel injector not always working properly, was a pain to figure out, and for the gti it was bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor was acting up from a small exhaust leak, got the leak fixed and a new 02 sensor and i was good to go

might not be your issue but maybe check those out and see what happens

namron

Hello guys im Sam from Toronto ,
I have a 2010 gti and my engine blew because of the timing chain tensioner failure ( at 217k ) and i got a low kms 2016 tiguan engine and swapped it . Engine is the same ( CCTA ) but i have a engine light and when i go to scan it it says im missfiring but the car runs mint no sign of missfire whats so ever everything runs amazing on the car , do you guys think i need to re program the ecu since its a 2010
Ecu and the engine is newer 2016 ?
For the tensioner to last that long goes to show they aint all bad.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
For the tensioner to last that long goes to show they aint all bad.

Bro dont come in here and ruin somebody's life with this shit so you feel better about riding with the angels.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion