GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engone noise 2013 gti 2.0 TSI DSG

Mouaz

Hello
I recently purchased a GTI 2.0 DSG with 85k km on the clock.

There was a rattling sound i could hear ONLY from inside the cabin. It seemed like there was something wrong with the timing chain/ tensioner (though it had the updated tensioner and didnt require upgrade). A couple days later the car started vibrating hard and engine light + EPC light came on. It turned out that my pistons were broken and i needed a new engine. I thought the rattling noise was due to bad engine.

Now that i have replaced the engine and the car runs fine but the rattling noise is still there and is only heard inside the cabin and unfortunately no mechanic is able to figure out whats wrong.When its parked uphill, the sound is gone but when parked on a flat surface the sound is back.

Has anyone faced this problem before?? Please help

Mouaz

You might check and/or search the turbocharger waste gate noise.
I checked but it doesnt seem like the wastegate problem :(

It sounds similar to a timing chain issue but in reality is that the new engine has the updated tensioner and the timing seems fine also

While accelerating hard the noise disappears but during normal driving and stationary, the noise can be heard

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I have the DSG and mine makes a noise at exactly 1K rpm some times. But I can only hear it with the windows down, not really inside the car.

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Perhaps the Dual Mass Flywheel is causing the rattling. This is not uncommon on these and can be quite noisy when they fail.

Do you know what caused your engine failure?

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm I think my DSG’s DMF is going bad too.

rattle while idle and in gear while stopped... goes away when driving.

anyone know the cost to replace? Should l do the clutch pack at the same time too?

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Hmmm I think my DSG’s DMF is going bad too.

rattle while idle and in gear while stopped... goes away when driving.

anyone know the cost to replace? Should l do the clutch pack at the same time too?

My guess would be $1,000 in labor, $300-$500 for the DMF. How many miles on the car? Not sure what the interval is for replacing DSG clutch packs. Is the car tuned?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Yes I would say $1000-1500 for DMF replacement is about what ive seen. Cheapest new OEM DMF ive seen is $300 by one seller on ebay

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
My guess would be $1,000 in labor, $300-$500 for the DMF. How many miles on the car? Not sure what the interval is for replacing DSG clutch packs. Is the car tuned?
It’s very tuned.
- Ko4 + LSD
- 108,000 miles (95,000 of that with a Ko4)
- clutch pack was replaced around 60k via warranty