GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC Light, CEL + no crank/no start

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone, last week i went to start my car and it wouldn't crank at all, and had the EPC light and CEL on. Pulled code for CEL, and got like p0106 or something (MAP sensor). Replaced this with new bosch map sensor, and same issue. Checked voltage to battery, tried using jump kit anyway, disconnecting the battery and still nothing.

I now still have the epc and cel on, but neither my obdii reader or my IE powerlink cable are getting any cel codes.

Any thoughts on this?

thanks!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hey everyone, last week i went to start my car and it wouldn't crank at all, and had the EPC light and CEL on. Pulled code for CEL, and got like p0106 or something (MAP sensor). Replaced this with new bosch map sensor, and same issue. Checked voltage to battery, tried using jump kit anyway, disconnecting the battery and still nothing.

I now still have the epc and cel on, but neither my obdii reader or my IE powerlink cable are getting any cel codes.

Any thoughts on this?
manifolf
thanks!
The P0106 was prolly there from before from the IE Short Ram Intake (SRI) manifold, it does that from time to time, BUT shouldn't affect the start up.

Do you have a second key to try and start the car with, maybe mobilizer?

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
The P0106 was prolly there from before from the IE Short Ram Intake (SRI) manifold, it does that from time to time, BUT shouldn't affect the start up.

Do you have a second key to try and start the car with, maybe mobilizer?
I'll try the second key. One other thing forgot to mention, through the IE software what i can still see is the 'engine load' field fluctuating between 0% and 78% constantly. My guess is some sensor is still malfunctioning. Could this be the electric throttle?

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll try the second key. One other thing forgot to mention, through the IE software what i can still see is the 'engine load' field fluctuating between 0% and 78% constantly. My guess is some sensor is still malfunctioning. Could this be the electric throttle?
no dice on the second key.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion

EPC is the drive by wire system, so pedal and throttle body, so yes it could be the throttle positioning sensor in the pedal has gone haywire or the throttle body or wiring in between.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have VAG-COM? You could check this and try recalibrating the throttle body. Do you drive a stick? Clutch sensor (at the pedal) would cause this as well as MLue1's suggestion on the immobilizer.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have VAG-COM? You could check this and try recalibrating the throttle body. Do you drive a stick? Clutch sensor (at the pedal) would cause this as well as MLue1's suggestion on the immobilizer.
I dont have vag-com unfortunately :( This anomoly in the engine load has been happening from the start, although i did touch the throttle plate to make sure it wasnt just stuck. When you hit the pedal it sounds like its opening it but maybe its still throwing this issue? Doesnt rule out the throttle plate or the pedal really i guess.

I did think about the clutch pedal, so i pulled out the ECS clutch stopper i had incase it was actually not hitting the switch. Haven't replaced that yet though.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I dont have vag-com unfortunately :( This anomoly in the engine load has been happening from the start, although i did touch the throttle plate to make sure it wasnt just stuck. When you hit the pedal it sounds like its opening it but maybe its still throwing this issue? Doesnt rule out the throttle plate or the pedal really i guess.

I did think about the clutch pedal, so i pulled out the ECS clutch stopper i had incase it was actually not hitting the switch. Haven't replaced that yet though.

That's interesting as I had this issue with the ECS clutch stop as well. I had to pull the nut and put it to it"s lowest setting on mine. Also the EPC light is always on if the car is not started so the EPC light may not mean anything.

Last edited:

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
That's interesting as I had this issue with the ECS clutch stop as well. I hadto pull the nut and put it to it"s lowest setting on mine. Also the EPC light is always on if the car is not statted so the EPC light may not mean anything.
car certainly isnt starting, so we'll go with it means something haha! when i leave it in the on position, EPC & CEL stay on. Not even a click from the starter. Either it truly is the starter and ive been sent on a witch hunt, or whatever is causing the epc issue is stopping it from starting.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Naffy, I did a post last year, a Youtube Video the same time that WW was having some issues. The guy in the video had a hack that fixed a common problem that maybe related.... since they changed this Web Site, the searching has been the $h!ts, so I can't even find my own posts.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I have to think it's something with the immobilizer or clutch switch or something ignition related if you get absolutely nothing when you turn the key. Even if you have the throttlebody unplughed it will try and start and a dead batter will give a faint click. Very few things will give you nothing when you try and start it. That's a tough one. Might have to get a mechanic to diagnose that one.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Got in the new pedal (tps integrated) as well as camshaft sensor. Same issue, no click or anything. Tried unplugging the throttle body to test the theory of starting with it unplugged, still no dice so I don't think that's the issue. Still have crankshaft sensor to try but we'll see if that does anything.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
Took it to the shop down the road and...drum roll.....the BATTERY was causing some intermittent voltage issues, which is probably why i saw what I saw from the IE software, AND the starter went out. I'd love to think they're related, if not a complete coincidence.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
So you had a bad Starter, maybe next time we add push/bump starting the car, as part of the trouble shooting process.

Simple fact, Low battery voltage can burn out your starter or the power line to the starter, I'm not going to teach you electrical theory but the simple truth is when a battery output voltage is low, the electrical current increases through the connections, which can cause questionable or corroded connections to burn out. Let go with that.

Naffy

Passed Driver's Ed
So you had a bad Starter, maybe next time we add push/bump starting the car, as part of the trouble shooting process.

Simple fact, Low battery voltage can burn out your starter or the power line to the starter, I'm not going to teach you electrical theory but the simple truth is when a battery output voltage is low, the electrical current increases through the connections, which can cause questionable or corroded connections to burn out. Let go with that.
Yup pretty much a starter, with the battery issues making it seem like it had to do with EPC circuit. I'd have to guess the battery is what kicked the started and made it do all sorts of weird things. I had hooked up a jump kit to it but obviously that wasn't going to rule out the starter.

I'm certainly no electrician but ohm's law going to hold true right here, although im not sure what else happens as at one point I checked voltage across the battery and got like 12.2 or something...but I'll just stop wondering because I won't be able to explain that.