GOLFMKV

EQT coilovers - an honest review

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
56589368-AF03-4D17-A0C2-45D9F6DF143D.jpeg
50C3C397-C011-49F6-9879-6081DF2CF473.jpeg

I had to do a write up for anyone considering going with EQT adjustable coilovers, as I just had mine installed and can’t say enough how impressed with them I am.

Many thanks to Will_ and Doge with answering my many PMs about FTG, settings and thread count, which helped me make my decision. Will’s thread was also a great source:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/review-eqt-coilovers.379902/

To start off, I don’t auto-rx or track and I will say that I cheated by having my shop install the coilovers. I’m in the middle of moving between houses and simply did not have the time to set aside and do this in someone’s garage.

Took a couple weeks but packing was excellent and came with free swag, so no complaints there!

7439B582-DF92-4485-8B38-959C4CC85DA8.jpeg

I selected this set up because I needed a solution that would allow me to vary my drop (from OEM to minimal drop) while having better responsiveness than the OEM set up. I considered several other options, but even with Fortune Auto, I would’ve had to upgrade springs in order to keep OEM height. EQT coilovers allow you to keep OEM height with their basic package. I’m currently sitting at 25.25” FTG on all four corners.

I haven’t tried the full hard setting, but I’ve ran through some curvy and highway roads on a medium setting with no jarring, as well as on the full soft setting, and didn’t experience any bouncing. This setup keeps you firmly planted with minimal.

Adjustability is INCREDIBLY easy. I can adjust all four corners in less that 2 minutes. Pics are below for reference, but EQT knocked it out of the ballpark with this design. Granted, you have to lay on the ground to adjust the rears, but seriously, it’s stupid easy. 10 out of 10 on this capability.

AC18F7BE-71F1-486D-B9D8-F9C466231EA9.jpeg

3C61A521-4335-42E5-8477-61199B70E601.jpeg
688470B3-AAFE-4129-A57A-8C45814951EC.jpeg

I’ll leave this open to update after I go back to drive the BOTD in the spring (to really put them to the test), but as for now, I highly recommend them!

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Glad to hear you’re happy with them! Was happy to help. One question - did those little spacers that sit on the top of the strut tower come with your kit, or did you/your shop install those? I don’t have anything like that.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Glad to hear you’re happy with them! Was happy to help. One question - did those little spacers that sit on the top of the strut tower come with your kit, or did you/your shop install those? I don’t have anything like that.
Came with the kit actually. To my knowledge, they didn’t have to add or modify anything

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the write up! I’ve been seriously considering these lately. I’m not looking for anything crazy as I don’t track my car and the price point with adjustability seem hard to beat.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I wanted to go with these but they charge extra for different spring rates so I went with ORT instead. I haven't received them yet but will post a review of those when I do.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I wanted to go with these but they charge extra for different spring rates so I went with ORT instead. I haven't received them yet but will post a review of those when I do.
Fortune Auto charged more for OEM height, so I’m assuming you wanted different spring rates?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
How's the ride quality of stock?
assuming you meant ride quality of "stock".

Stiffened up to 12 (out of 24 clicks available for adjustability) and took it out on a local highway with several bridge joists, etc. To my surprise, I was not jostled or rattled like crazy, so dampening was good and was extremely planted. These are coilovers afterall, so they will not be as soft as OEM, but these are awesome. I can't compare these to KWv3 or ohlins, but I'm very impressed and have no remorse.

My wife is the main tester....she hated my ST coilovers and airride, but yesterday took a corner at speed through a light, over a slight rise and she had zero complaints. Trust me, she would have said something immediately too.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
assuming you meant ride quality of "stock".

Stiffened up to 12 (out of 24 clicks available for adjustability) and took it out on a local highway with several bridge joists, etc. To my surprise, I was not jostled or rattled like crazy, so dampening was good and was extremely planted. These are coilovers afterall, so they will not be as soft as OEM, but these are awesome. I can't compare these to KWv3 or ohlins, but I'm very impressed and have no remorse.

My wife is the main tester....she hated my ST coilovers and airride, but yesterday took a corner at speed through a light, over a slight rise and she had zero complaints. Trust me, she would have said something immediately too.
Sounds good! Yes I meant "OVER stock suspension". I know some fancy Coilovers actually still retains helper springs to make the drive very compliant on normal street roads while still having amazing track potential. The GT2RS MR that laps the Nordschleife in 6:40 is one such example.

I want to upgrade my suspension as well but I'm hoping to improve ride quality over stock while doing so. Coming from JDM-land, I had a set of Cusco Coilovers with very high spring rate that was super compliant on the streets. The OEM Golf R suspension is surprisingly harsh but has a decent amount of body roll.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Question. The gti feels like it has (slightly) some negative scrub radius. Do these coils retain that? Zero? Positive?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Question. The gti feels like it has (slightly) some negative scrub radius. Do these coils retain that? Zero? Positive?
Since ours cars use the shaft/clamp type fitment on the spindles none of the coil overs or struts offered would affect it unless they are designed with a kink in the bottom section and I’ve never see such.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Since ours cars use the shaft/clamp type fitment on the spindles none of the coil overs or struts offered would affect it unless they are designed with a kink in the bottom section and I’ve never see such.
Gotcha. So offset, alignment and tire height would be the only way to affect it then?