GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ETune Comparison thread

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Starting this. Looking for real world results, thoughts, reviews for etunes.

someone in mk7 vs thread brought it up so mine as well.

Info needed: what tune you are running, fuel, supporting tune mods, review of tune, how long it takes to get feedback, dyno results, ect

companies in mind: stratified, eqt, eurodyne, sneeky, ect

I have a jb4 and was thinking of switching. I know there are many specific threads to each tune itself but I was looking to consolidate and and get general reviews. Thanks, and if you say use the search function, piss off ;)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well thanks. From everything I've been able to discern EQT is the number 1 choice. For me custom dyno tune on a TPC20 turbo with full bolt ons. Soon to be a custom remote dyno tune with EQT. Currently 416 HP and 428 torque.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I know there are many specific threads to each tune itself but I was looking to consolidate and and get general reviews.

That just sounds like "Can someone else read through all those threads and compile the information into some easy to read cliff notes for me?"

E90 Skye

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e36 M3, MK7 GTI PP
It'll be hard to give honest comparison from most people as each person is probably locked into 1 tuning model/company or at max they've had 2 and many times not on the same platform and may not be the current iterations of the tune.

I was in a similar situation. Was scouring all the threads to find as much info as possible. Last year when I contemplated a tune I was convinced I'd go with Unitronic Stage 1+. A year later and I was very close to going to my local APR dealer and go with the updated APR Stage 1 low torque tune (as I liked the idea of a more linear power curve with smooth delivery - which is why Uni St1+ was enticing).

In the end after lots of research and having no allegiance/money in a tuning company I went with EQT Stage 1 with the COBB AP and went ahead and got the EQT DSG tune too. Just seemed like cost/performance/positive review combination was hard to pass up with EQT. Plus till May 3rd they were including their OTS ECU and TCU tunes come included with the AP, so if you're getting all of it together it saves you a bit of money. Cost wise my local APR tuner quoted me about 1500 for both ECU+TCU tune with APR stage1 but with free update flashes to same stage tunes.

What I've gathered from the forums is that most ppl like having the flexibility of tuning at home and having the AP as the method of flashing rather than having to be tied to a tuning shop/dealer to get updates/change tunes. That being said I haven't seen many complaints from ppl with APR, Unitronic, EQT, or Stratified.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
It'll be hard to give honest comparison from most people as each person is probably locked into 1 tuning model/company or at max they've had 2 and many times not on the same platform and may not be the current iterations of the tune.

I was in a similar situation. Was scouring all the threads to find as much info as possible. Last year when I contemplated a tune I was convinced I'd go with Unitronic Stage 1+. A year later and I was very close to going to my local APR dealer and go with the updated APR Stage 1 low torque tune (as I liked the idea of a more linear power curve with smooth delivery - which is why Uni St1+ was enticing).

In the end after lots of research and having no allegiance/money in a tuning company I went with EQT Stage 1 with the COBB AP and went ahead and got the EQT DSG tune too. Just seemed like cost/performance/positive review combination was hard to pass up with EQT. Plus till May 3rd they were including their OTS ECU and TCU tunes come included with the AP, so if you're getting all of it together it saves you a bit of money. Cost wise my local APR tuner quoted me about 1500 for both ECU+TCU tune with APR stage1 but with free update flashes to same stage tunes.

What I've gathered from the forums is that most ppl like having the flexibility of tuning at home and having the AP as the method of flashing rather than having to be tied to a tuning shop/dealer to get updates/change tunes. That being said I haven't seen many complaints from ppl with APR, Unitronic, EQT, or Stratified.

yeah being able to tune from home is the move for sure. I have done search and know about most of the tunes. It seems like EQT protune is the most expensive being 500ish. Looks like strat eurodyne and sneeky are cheaper. I know as far as people, Ed is great to work with as far as response ect ect, but I don't know how anyone at the other companies are to work with and what response is like.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I used stratified when I had a focus ST. They are good and have a few tuners working for them. Strat also has "OTS" style tunes for the GTI (none for R yet), but not nearly as talked about as EQT. I've had eurodyne on my car and now Ecutek tuned with EQT and am happy with it. But I'm confident Strat and the others are doing good work as well. Two competent tuners will likely arrive at a very similar end result for a given car. Then there's a lot of subjectivity when it comes to things like DSG tunes. I'll post up more about my experiences later.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Anyone have sneekytuned and experience with the BrakeBoosting option? I kinda thought this was odd, website says its part of the tune... I was under the impression that you would phsyically brake boost and then you get brake boost, but maybe they have coded something into this

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Anyone have sneekytuned and experience with the BrakeBoosting option? I kinda thought this was odd, website says its part of the tune... I was under the impression that you would phsyically brake boost and then you get brake boost, but maybe they have coded something into this

You can brake boost on a stock car.