GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Everyone selling their R?

joeyfrost

Ready to race!
Hello everyone,

Not sure if its just me or not but I noticed a high amount of folks here in the forum and locally to me selling their MK6 Rs. Am I missing something?

Is it the “age”, depreciation, newer golfs that are driving this?

I’m heavily modded and curious if it is a time to think about selling as the depreciation factor is there but I just cant see myself selling mine for the price I’ve been seeing these go for!! As low as 13k with mods! In the northeast I’m not suffering from depreciation as badly but I don’t think I’d ever sell for that low!!

Thoughts?!?

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone,

Not sure if its just me or not but I noticed a high amount of folks here in the forum and locally to me selling their MK6 Rs. Am I missing something?

Is it the “age”, depreciation, newer golfs that are driving this?

I’m heavily modded and curious if it is a time to think about selling as the depreciation factor is there but I just cant see myself selling mine for the price I’ve been seeing these go for!! As low as 13k with mods! In the northeast I’m not suffering from depreciation as badly but I don’t think I’d ever sell for that low!!

Thoughts?!?
Yeah I would park it like a fence post for that price

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

joeyfrost

Ready to race!
Yea i didnt understand. For a buyer its a great car for the price now but selling that low im just not sure if somethings up or are these mostly people with leases? I finance. Maybe its leased vehicles idk

demon342

Ready to race!
I recently bought my R for 14k with mods in the northeast too, great deals out there

Pandaphunk

While that’s true of high milage abused ones. Clean nicely modded ones still go for mid to high twenties.

My Rising Blue has a “trade in” value of 23k and I have well over 40k in mods into it, sooo never selling it lol

My Tornado Red has a “trade in” value of 18k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeyfrost

Ready to race!
I feel like im in the same position its hard to justify the value when beat up ones are going for that low

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I think we're seeing original owners moving on, these cars are going on a decade old now. It may also have something to do with the fact that 2019 is the last year for the 6 year/72k mile warranty and there won't be a Golf R in 2020. I know that's got me looking at a new one even though I still love my car.

Either way, I bet we'll see an influx of new members and activity here and on vortex in the next couple of months.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I think we're seeing original owners moving on, these cars are going on a decade old now. It may also have something to do with the fact that 2019 is the last year for the 6 year/72k mile warranty and there won't be a Golf R in 2020.

Yep. I would guess exactly this. Especially if your not a DIY person. The Golf R is not a cheap car to fix if a major problem hits. I love the R but when I sold back the TDI they were selling for $60K where I live. You read correct...$60,000. No offense but for $60,000 I would not be buying an R.

t'sGTI

Go Kart Champion
I think we're seeing original owners moving on, these cars are going on a decade old now. It may also have something to do with the fact that 2019 is the last year for the 6 year/72k mile warranty and there won't be a Golf R in 2020. I know that's got me looking at a new one even though I still love my car.

Either way, I bet we'll see an influx of new members and activity here and on vortex in the next couple of months.

Exactly the reasons why I sold mine, to get a 2019.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
You read correct...$60,000. No offense but for $60,000 I would not be buying an R.

:eek:

Did they come with a hooker and a kilo of blow in the back?

I've been internet surfing for an R for the last couple months, going to be pulling the trigger hopefully next month or month after. I've been missing my hot hatch since I traded the GTI away back in 15 for an S3 because I couldn't wait for an R to be ordered. Hated the S3 (not a sedan guy) and was planning on an RS3 Sportback, and then AoA screwed us on that so I ended up in a TTRS. Love the heck out of it.....but it's not a hatch. Moving to MO and making a KILLING selling my house in CO so I'm grabbing an R for a commuter/winter fun runner. Might even turn it into a full blown race car in a year or so (working on my license with NASA).

I have not seen any modded or otherwise down in the 13s (other than high mileage 100k+ stuff). The 12/13s are $16k, 15s are going in the $20+ range. I'm not afraid or unable to get my hands dirty, did almost all the wrenching on my GTI myself except for the suspension, if there's a 13k R with mods out there I'd take a look. LOL

BLUMK6R

Tbh I believe this happened the same way when the VR6 hit the same age. Look at them now, they still sell for 10-12k in good condition. My personal opinion on my mk6r with 130k miles that drives better than most new cars is I would rather let it sit in the driveway than let it go for 10 on trade.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
works for me, lol. will be in search for a used one with high mileage next summer