GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extreme Performance and Competition Tires

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I found that the serious racers use rabbit caliper brackets and rotors, then they can fit 15" wheels which there is way more of a selection of tires.

Still haven't determined how wide I can go on h&r supersports. Probably only stock or maybe 235.

Serious for what? People who rally cars sometimes downgrade brake size to run smaller wheel more selection of specific size rally tires. But if you are into tracking or anything that needs longer + harder use of brake, smaller brake hardware is not the solution since they will not hold up to consistent higher temp because of their much less thermal mass.

Additionally, most modern high performance tires are not available in sizes much smaller than 16". The selection for older vehicle running smaller wheels and tires are actually less now in cases because of it. Most of the "extreme performance" tires have specific 15" sizes for Miata/CRX/Civic because there is a dedicated market for those cars in SCCA, but those tires are way too small for use like GTI.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yeah unless you want to drop to a 205 or 195.

by "serious racers" he probably means people going to the drag strip. so they can run slicks.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Great thread! I am just starting to look at good tire. I always hear it makes a big difference, but have always run all seasons

Nodnarb

Passed Driver's Ed
Serious for what? People who rally cars sometimes downgrade brake size to run smaller wheel more selection of specific size rally tires. But if you are into tracking or anything that needs longer + harder use of brake, smaller brake hardware is not the solution since they will not hold up to consistent higher temp because of their much less thermal mass.

Additionally, most modern high performance tires are not available in sizes much smaller than 16". The selection for older vehicle running smaller wheels and tires are actually less now in cases because of it. Most of the "extreme performance" tires have specific 15" sizes for Miata/CRX/Civic because there is a dedicated market for those cars in SCCA, but those tires are way too small for use like GTI.

Yes I was referring to 1/4 mile where the largest tire selection is 15". I wouldn't consider downsizing brakes. Just making information I found known.

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
Just bought Michelin PSS today