GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Steps in modding

A4X4

I'm two weeks into owning a 2013 R and have started some minor modding with an intake and chip. I think I made a mistake by not replacing cam follower first (remedied shortly)...so now I'm wondering what you would recommend as a rough order of operations for my next steps towards a stage 2 sleeper. The cam follower upgrade with a HPFP is on my mind, as well as a catch can, new plugs and R8 coil packs, intake heat shield, skid plate...only modding a little is the lie I tell myself. Love this car. It's my first turbo project car.

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
How many miles on it? Any records of when the cam follower was changed last? I would do it now, like yesterday even. There's no way to know what shape it's in and if it lets loose it's a big bill.

My recommendation for first order of business is the same as always on a new used car. Maintenance. The amount and urgency will depend on mileage and previous records. It's not fun, it's not sexy, but neither is a car packed with sexy parts sitting in the garage broken. (y)

After that, if you're going to open up the turbo to push more might as well open up the whole path and replace the TOP and TB Pipe that are massive restrictions.

A4X4

86k with full service record, all very tidy...but no record of a cam follower anywhere in there. I swapped it immediately and observed a pristine part coming out, which gives me hope that the car was gently driven. Thanks for the great advice!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Did you post on Vortex? LOL That sounds familiar.

A4X4

I'm slowly memorizing every MK6 & R forum I can find. VWROC in on my radar too, but seems mostly British. It's been over a decade since I had a project, (2.8 A4) so loads of catching up to do.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Well glad to have you, seems like after the R section being dead for a bit we suddenly have a batch of new owners (myself included) so that is awesome.