GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time buyer, what to look out for?

Madredchris

Hey guys.

I'm new here! Just registered.
So i graduated June last year and almost have saved enough to -FINALLY- buy a Golf Mk6 R. Im so stoked!
I would like an automatic (i can drive stick but i drive a lot for my job and manual in traffics jams is... $#!@)

Since you all share the same love for the car as i do, probably more, i would love to have some expert opinions on what to look out for when buying one. I've done some research myself and found some stuff to watch out for.
Things like:
  • Look for maintenance history if its present. Fine details like tire types, cleanness of interior
  • Check that the DSG is functional, shifts should be REALLY smooth, might indicate a defect if there is something wrong
  • Check the belt, make sure it has been replaced on the correct amount of miles (kilometers where im from). Just a double check, is it at around 80k miles (~120-130k km)?
  • Step on the gas in a low gear, if the real wheels slip the Haldex pump might be defective
  • Check the chassis for damage
  • Creaking sound might be a broken steering bearing
Do you guys have some more things to look out for?

Thanks!

ALGH

Congratulations man, seems like you got a pretty good handle on this already. Enjoy your future ride!

GolfR333

Ready to race!
Check on the cam flower. Change it every 20 k. Also timing belt due around 80 k or 7 years. Check harmonic balancer in the rear that connects to driveshaft.

Madredchris

Congratulations man, seems like you got a pretty good handle on this already. Enjoy your future ride!

Thanks! Im very hyped!

Check on the cam flower. Change it every 20 k. Also timing belt due around 80 k or 7 years. Check harmonic balancer in the rear that connects to driveshaft.

- Is there any way to check cam follower without dismantling the whole fuel pump?
- Are you talking miles or km's?
- What can be defective about the harmonic balancer?

Thanks!

Last edited:

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
- Is there any way to check cam follower without dismantling the whole fuel pump?

You don't have to disassemble the fuel pump itself, but you do have to detach it from the head to see what condition the cam follower is in.
Remember to replace the seal (and seat it correctly!!!) anytime you take off the high-pressure fuel pump.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
- What can be defective about the harmonic balancer?

Thanks!

He means the GUIBO, it's a rubber mount that connects the driveshaft, it can become damaged from stress and road grime/chemicals/etc as it's made from rubber. Just check it for cracks or warping.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/rear-driveshaft-coupling/1k0521307a/

I will say in regards to the cam follower you should check yours and determine your own replacement interval instead of just doing it 20k. That's a reasonably safe number but some people have seen higher wear, and it really isn't THAT hard to replace and considering the catastrophic damage to the engine if it fails...........

That is a rough guide, when I last changed mine it looked mostly like Stage 2 however I had a very noticeable imprint of what looked like the plunger.

I recommend changing it when you get the car, than change it at 10k and see what it looks like. If it still looked good go to 15k before changing it again and see what it looks like then.