GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fitment help

tulip

Ready to race!
Howdy,

First off, I am new and I know there are threads discussing fitment guides but I'm having issues finding an answer.

I will be lowering my car by 1.2 inches next season and I will be buying new rims and tires. How aggressive can I go without needing to worry about rubbing anything. I know 1.2 inches isn't much but I would like to stick my wheels out as much as possible.

torga

Autocross Champion
18x8 ET45 with 235/40 tires is the safest setup for this platform. Anything more than that and you'll likely start to deal with increasing levels of rubbing.

I'm running 18x8.5 ET43 with 235/40 tires and even with rolled rear fenders, I still dealt with some rubbing before dialing in a hair of negative camber. Granted, I want to say as close as possible to OEM camber spec, so I was looking for very small rubbing clearance. When I bought my car, it had 18x9.5 ET35 with 235/40 tires in the rear arches and it didn't rub, because the camber arms were absolutely maxed to negative (wanna say that was about -5°).

Keep in mind that without camber plates or SuperPro's ball joints, there is no easy way to adjust front camber on these cars. Rear is very adjustable from factory.

tulip

Ready to race!
18x8 ET45 with 235/40 tires is the safest setup for this platform. Anything more than that and you'll likely start to deal with increasing levels of rubbing.

I'm running 18x8.5 ET43 with 235/40 tires and even with rolled rear fenders, I still dealt with some rubbing before dialing in a hair of negative camber. Granted, I want to say as close as possible to OEM camber spec, so I was looking for very small rubbing clearance. When I bought my car, it had 18x9.5 ET35 with 235/40 tires in the rear arches and it didn't rub, because the camber arms were absolutely maxed to negative (wanna say that was about -5°).

Keep in mind that without camber plates or SuperPro's ball joints, there is no easy way to adjust front camber on these cars. Rear is very adjustable from factory.
Thanks for the reply man,

I'm also on lowering springs.. will this cause an additional issue? Also, how long would adjusting rear camber take?

torga

Autocross Champion
Loosening, rotating, then retightening the eccentric bolts doesn't take very long. Not a lot of clearance back there, but definitely doable. What might take a while is making an adjustment, dropping the car to check, then having to lift it back up if it's not right. If you have a magnetic angle gauge you could stick it on the brake rotor while you adjust, it'd make things a lot easier. But the good ones are a bit pricey, so I just assume most people don't have one.

This post has some good info on the location of the eccentric bolts.

tulip

Ready to race!
Loosening, rotating, then retightening the eccentric bolts doesn't take very long. Not a lot of clearance back there, but definitely doable. What might take a while is making an adjustment, dropping the car to check, then having to lift it back up if it's not right. If you have a magnetic angle gauge you could stick it on the brake rotor while you adjust, it'd make things a lot easier. But the good ones are a bit pricey, so I just assume most people don't have one.

This post has some good info on the location of the eccentric bolts.
Thanks, again for the reply. awesome insight and a great link too... eager to tackle this come next season.

torga

Autocross Champion
Good luck! If you're trying to find the line between rubbing and not rubbing, sometimes it takes some driving around between adjustments to see how the adjustments you made behave under real driving loads, not just the weight of the car alone.

autonoob

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree it takes some trial to find out if this setup will work. Do you have any specific wheels and tires in mind right now? Make sure to keep us posted on the progress of this build.

tulip

Ready to race!
I agree it takes some trial to find out if this setup will work. Do you have any specific wheels and tires in mind right now? Make sure to keep us posted on the progress of this build.
I've been considering roti BLQs for awhile but I feel as if everyone around here has them... always up for recommendations! As far as tires go, I run yokohama advan apex.. I'm IE stage 2 and I find they are fantastic for driving up here in atlantic canada.

I'll be sure to update the thread with pics once I start playing with the fitment!