GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fixed the front vibration from 90miles/h accidentally

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
So I have been experiencing the weird vibration felt on the steering wheel and floor a year ago.
During the time, I have changed my suspension, strut mount, wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joint... you name it !
Swap tires, Alignment I performed all the usual suggestions but it just won't go away.

So by elimination, only brakes and Axles are the causes.
Many shop told me that the brake will only vibrate at high speed when braking, which is not my case.
So I am convinced that the axles are causing the vibration. However a bent/defected axle should vibrate not only in such high speed.....

Long story short.
Last week, I just upgrade to a BBK. After the bed in procedure I went for a spirited driving. And OMG the vibration is gone..... the car went to 130miles/h and still very stable on the road.

IMG_6831.JPG

I still don't know the reason behind it... I will examine my old brakes to find any clues

torga

Autocross Champion
If a BBK got rid of the shake, sounds like your old rotors or pads were ever so slightly warped. Can't think of any other reason.

Those calipers look terrific, by the way.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
Looks real nice, DBA rotors? Did you run a hub spacer on them?
This is the Brembo GT-S kit that comes with Brembo Type-3 rotors, no spacer is used with Oz Leggera Hlt
IMG_6832 (1).jpg

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
If a BBK got rid of the shake, sounds like your old rotors or pads were ever so slightly warped. Can't think of any other reason.

Those calipers look terrific, by the way.
Seems like it, but I am surprised the vibration starts at such high speed.
I have searched in many forums and this is very rare

R^2

Ready to race!
Man, I'm going through the same thing with vibration - I'm wondering if I have the same thing going on. Nothing pronounced like pulsing or vibrations upon light-heavy braking. but high speeds, sweeping corners, and sure enough its there. I can feel it in the floor and steering wheel, and see it in the passenger seat / arm rest.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
Man, I'm going through the same thing with vibration - I'm wondering if I have the same thing going on. Nothing pronounced like pulsing or vibrations upon light-heavy braking. but high speeds, sweeping corners, and sure enough its there. I can feel it in the floor and steering wheel, and see it in the passenger seat / arm rest.

Have you solved your problem?

R^2

Ready to race!
Have you solved your problem?

I removed and reinstalled the tires using the correct torque and it improved greatly. I still suspect a very very slight warp in the front right rotor based on visual wear indications. I'm researching BBK set ups, so paused for the moment until I decide on the kit I want to go with.

The GTS kit it nice, but damn is it pricey. What did you do for the rears?

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
I removed and reinstalled the tires using the correct torque and it improved greatly. I still suspect a very very slight warp in the front right rotor based on visual wear indications. I'm researching BBK set ups, so paused for the moment until I decide on the kit I want to go with.

The GTS kit it nice, but damn is it pricey. What did you do for the rears?

Nice to here you find the problem. Could you borrow a pair of rotors and go for a test drive?

Yes the GT-S is very pricey, I was choosing this between AP racing 5000R and Brembo GT-S.
I am always fond of Brembo and the look of the GT-S is perfect for my carbon steel grey GTI, so I bite the bullet.
Now the rear looks ridiculously small. I am looking at the Golf R rear rotor which is 310mm but it will have to wait.

R^2

Ready to race!
I've been eyeing the AP Radical kit Tyrol sells. 'm getting a slight squeak under hard right turns, so I'm wondering if a bearing is in fact starting to go. When I had the car on the lift, the tires don't spin freely, I can turn them easily enough, but they don't spin. So, Maybe its a brake and bearing kind of spring update.