GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flutter After Going STG2 with DV+

GTIDREW2003

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I just flashed IE's stage 2 on my GTI and while I did that along with the IE down pipe, I also installed a GFB DV+ which I bought from ECS Tuning. After the install of all the parts I noticed my intake was actually a bit quieter than before, prior to stage 2 with IE's intake and stage 1 flash when the throttle was let off it'd just be one big kkshhhh sound.....if that makes sense. But now it doesn't really do that and it is fluttering, which is concerning. Its not like an insane flutter which when the throttle is let of just keeps fluttering but is more of one little flutter and then it kind of quiets down. I don't really get that kkshhh sound anymore. I'm not complaining because it sounds amazing when it does the little flutter but I always thought fluttering on a GTI meant something was wrong, like compressor surge or whatever. Can anyone tell me if what's happening is an issue? The turbo never fluttered prior to the stage 2 jump other then at super low rpms if you blipped the throttle just right. I also flashed IE's stage 2 with crackles so idk if that makes a difference? But, like I said its not one continuous fluttering when the throttle is let off, just one small flutter and then it stops. IDK if this is an issue?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Video isn’t working.

I have read that flutter on throttle close (getting off the gas) is okay but if you are getting flutter while accelerating on boost that is not good.

D4C6221A-9359-4250-BF45-A14B3EDE9574.png

GTIDREW2003

Passed Driver's Ed
You got a euro tuning shop nearby? Maybe take it to them and have them check it out?
Yeah I've got a couple I could take it to but idk what to have them look for? The guy who installed the DV+ and the downpipe said its a normal sound but I always thought it was bad.

GTIDREW2003

Passed Driver's Ed
Video isn’t working.

I have read that flutter on throttle close (getting off the gas) is okay but if you are getting flutter while accelerating on boost that is not good.

View attachment 194076

Heres another link to the vid, hopefully this works. But I don't know wether its bad or not? Some people say it'll destroy your turbo but some say its normal.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I’ve heard IE tunes especially do this, and it actually almost made me want one truthfully haha. But if you get a turbo muffler delete or go K04 you will hear more flutter as well.

Unless you’re getting it under acceleration or if there’s hesitation, a little should be fine as far as I’m aware. Maybe a forum vet can chime in. Mine makes the same sound but waaaay louder, I’m K04 with IE CAI for about 8k mi now.

edit: I do not have the GFB DV+

GTIDREW2003

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve heard IE tunes especially do this, and it actually almost made me want one truthfully haha. But if you get a turbo muffler delete or go K04 you will hear more flutter as well.

Unless you’re getting it under acceleration or if there’s hesitation, a little should be fine as far as I’m aware. Maybe a forum vet can chime in. Mine makes the same sound but waaaay louder, I’m K04 with IE CAI for about 8k mi now.

Yeah that's good to know. I'm honestly thinking its the DV+ but its just weird because I got it professionally installed and I've never heard one that caused fluttering but for some reason mine does lol. I don't know what else I could credit it to? Would a tune really make it flutter like that? My IE stage 1 never fluttered, but I didn't have the DV+ then.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Yeah that's good to know. I'm honestly thinking its the DV+ but its just weird because I got it professionally installed and I've never heard one that caused fluttering but for some reason mine does lol. I don't know what else I could credit it to? Would a tune really make it flutter like that? My IE stage 1 never fluttered, but I didn't have the DV+ then.
Yeah a tune can depending on how it affects and responds to boost, air/fuel parameters. You can also find YT videos of IE stage 2 with the CAI that have flutter. I’m pretty sure it’s just the way that the GTI recirculates the charged air back into the intake tract that creates a fluttering effect as you let off throttle for a second. Mine started on Cobb stage 2 and got way more pronounced when I went K04. Hope that helps

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Like autobahn said it’s probably from the tune especially if it’s running on the higher side of boost. I never had it with Uni stage 1 or 2 but when I went K04 I get it on throttle lift off, It’s beautiful 😍

What do you mean by externally vented? Sorry I'm kind of a noob with this stuff.

He means an atmospheric blow off that doesn’t vent the excess boost back into the the intake but rather into the air. The cool sounding JDM and subies do it but it’s not the best for our cars.

Stututututut along with a nice loud psssshhhhhh or something like that

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Video sounded great btw and enjoy those Mountain view’s too! They looked great in that video.

From the info I could find it is okay to have compressor surge during that time.

I figure if it shortens the life of the turbo from 150k to 100k it’s totally worth it for the added sounds lol. Plus it’s gonna take me a while to get that many miles.

GTIDREW2003

Passed Driver's Ed

Okay update, I did a highway pull just now and the turbo is fluttering like crazy on throttle! Its also making a whistling type noise and feels underpowered RIP.