GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

For those running Beluga Racing DPs

FocalPoint

Not sure if...
Anyone run into a weird acceleration rattle after install? It's almost metallic or pebble in tin can sounding. Seems to only come on under hard acceleration but not always, and isn't limited to just hard acceleration. I'm thinking I have a small exhaust leak, or one of the connection points is still loose after several tries to tighten things up. Hoping my flex section isn't defective.

I noticed their downpipe to midpipe connection came with 4 crush washers (2 for each nut/bolt combo) I ended up removing one from each side and that seemed to change the sound a little bit. Did anyone else share a similar experience? These crush washers seem like trash and I'm not crazy about that cardboard gasket either.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Newbie
I've experienced this with multiple chinese downpipes I think its just the cheap thin metal that makes the resonance that's sounds rattlely. I welded in a 300 cell cat into one and it helped a lot

FocalPoint

Not sure if...
I've experienced this with multiple chinese downpipes I think its just the cheap thin metal that makes the resonance that's sounds rattlely. I welded in a 300 cell cat into one and it helped a lot
Hopefully I can lock it down, no plans to weld in a cat. I feel like my old DP had some rattling before and it eventually cleared up over time, but this is sounding more like air escaping or pressure leakage. I know I gave the pebble in tincan comparison but listening to it sporadically come it go yesterday, it sounds like DP/Midpipe or mid to catback.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
If you have an exhaust leak... start the car dead cold and place your hand around all the gasket/connecting points to see if you can feel air escaping. After enough time, you would see the dark staining starting to occur. And as always when you fit up a new exhaust you want to tighten connections at the front and work your way to the rear. If your leak is at a gasket connection, it could be warped and need to be surfaced or use a double gasket. If it's at a slip fit connection you might need to widen the inner tube/ get a better clamp/ have it welded.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Newbie
I've fucked around with probably like 3 chinese downpipes including the beluga they all sounded pretty similar like a sputtery rattely sound it kinda sucked lol. I really thought it was an exhaust leak for the longest time and chased it. I even doubled up the gaskets on the beluga and it sounded the same. Also tried using high temp rtv on the gasket. The only decent one was the catted one I got welded into one piece

Also there's two kinds of belugas. The one that uses a flange and two bolts for the mid section or one that uses a v-band clamp. Which kind do you have? If its the v-band clamp ones maybe try getting a beefy vibrant v-band and use high temp rtv on the mating surface if you think its leaking from there. The v-bands clamps that come with the chinese kits suuuck

FocalPoint

Not sure if...
I've fucked around with probably like 3 chinese downpipes including the beluga they all sounded pretty similar like a sputtery rattely sound it kinda sucked lol. I really thought it was an exhaust leak for the longest time and chased it. I even doubled up the gaskets on the beluga and it sounded the same. Also tried using high temp rtv on the gasket. The only decent one was the catted one I got welded into one piece

Also there's two kinds of belugas. The one that uses a flange and two bolts for the mid section or one that uses a v-band clamp. Which kind do you have? If its the v-band clamp ones maybe try getting a beefy vibrant v-band and use high temp rtv on the mating surface if you think its leaking from there. The v-bands clamps that come with the chinese kits suuuck
I got the two bolts DP to mid. They sent 4 crush washers along with 2 nuts/bolts, which I feel is super overkill. Removing a pair of crush washers seemed to have an improving impact on the sound, but I'm hesitant to continue removing them. I did note what appeared to be some exhaust carbon creep off of the side of the gasket for the DP/Mid connection at the time as well. I felt like I got that part pretty tight, but I'll readjust the mid to cat and see if I have that joint bracket favoring one side too much and letting some back pressure out. Oddly enough, my first aftermarket catless chinese DP had the v-band clamp and that whole setup held up for a solid decade before cracking off at the flange and flopping around nearly completely free from the manifold after dicking off on the highway. That was literally the worst that setup has done to me, so I can't complain too much. If this doesn't work, I may try some exhaust wrapping and start wrapping sections of the DP to see if the sound changes to try and track down the culprit through process of elimination. If it ends up being the flex section, I'm gonna make beluga swap it out.

FocalPoint

Not sure if...
Got under the car again trying to find out if my rattle or weird metallic vibration sound is able to be remedied. Noticed my intake turbo charge pipe had some very obvious oil pooling around the coupler and the IC hose. Typically pretty normal but I also found one of the undertray mounting screws to apparently be digging its way into the metal charge pipe as there's a sizeable dent in the bottom of the lowest bend, as well as chipping away from where the screw and screw tack down are making contact. Decided to remove both and it seems to have lessened the noise to some extent, but I feel like that charge pipe may have a hole at this point. Couldn't seem to wipe all the oil off with my hand no matter how many passes I made. I doubt it's a major hole... not enough to upset boost levels by much, but it does feel like I have some pressure loss for sure. Gonna swap that out and see where I'm at.