GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front and rear brakes - What needs to be replaced?

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Getting ready to do brakes for the first time on this GTI. Do the caliper bolts need to be replaced? Are they torque-to-yield bolts? Front and rear?

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Just rotors and pads, and anti-rattle clips if they're broken. Bolts aren't torque to yield.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Front bolts can be reused. The rear caliper carrier bolts (triple square) are torque to yield (XXnm +90° I think) and should be replaced. The rear caliper guide pin bolts are recommended to be replaced.

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
I had to torch my rears to get them to budge. After an hour of impact gun, PB blaster and heat I had one side off. Same year as you. If you live anywhere with snow be prepared.

Also, take the ABS sensors out before torching if this step is needed for the rears.

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
Yeah good luck. I tried and failed replacing my pads and rotors today. Pads are easy but getting the rotors off is a different story. The two 14 mm triple square behind and the extremely shallow and soft torx bolt on the front seem nearly impossible to get off for anyone working from their driveway.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
I have heard that rotors aren't easy. Anyone else have any success or horror stories? Heating the bolts seems to be the only answer with these tough bolts.

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
Yeah good luck. I tried and failed replacing my pads and rotors today. Pads are easy but getting the rotors off is a different story. The two 14 mm triple square behind and the extremely shallow and soft torx bolt on the front seem nearly impossible to get off for anyone working from their driveway.

I have heard that rotors aren't easy. Anyone else have any success or horror stories? Heating the bolts seems to be the only answer with these tough bolts.

Pretty much, its a combination of very little clearance to get a tool into the area and the triple square bolts seem to seize pretty easily due to the elements. Take out the ABS sensors before torching!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i just took it to a shop/local mechanic and he did front and rear pads and rotors labor was about $250.I supplied pads and rotors.(3 hours labor at 85 a hour)

Tank1

Passed Driver's Ed
I just did rotors, pads, SS lines, and a flush last weekend. Took me the whole weekend but it was worth it for me. Power bleeder is great to work with.

You should definitely get new rear caliper frame bolts if you're doing this. All 4 of mine were just as rusted as this one here. I eventually torched them to get them loose and it was the most satisfying thing ever when they broke free. 15" breaker bar and the right position will get the fronts loose no problem but the rear are tougher due to clearances.

Pretty sure this rotor is what the weird brake noise was I heard for a day a month or two ago. 47k miles, 2 winters I believe.