GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front bumper holes

SilverSurfer1

I have an old school green plate and I removed the front license plate bracket. Unsurprisingly, this left me with a total of five holes on my front bumper; three for the brackets and two for the license which end up screwing right through the bumper.

I have a couple of options;
A. go to a body shop to see if they can repair
B. replace the bumper entirely
C. use some colored plugs and plug the holes up

Anybody have experience with this and what have you done about it? Thank you.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I have an old school green plate and I removed the front license plate bracket. Unsurprisingly, this left me with a total of five holes on my front bumper; three for the brackets and two for the license which end up screwing right through the bumper.

I have a couple of options;
A. go to a body shop to see if they can repair
B. replace the bumper entirely
C. use some colored plugs and plug the holes up

Anybody have experience with this and what have you done about it? Thank you.

Basically comes down to how much money you want to spend.

Do you need to replace the bumper? of course no, any shop should be able to fill it in and repaint the bumper. But if you are slim on funds, i have seen people use the plugs which will get you by, but you probably will want to replace them eventually too because they do stand out.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
You don’t list the car color but....I would recommend panel plugs (cheap and effective) or bumperplugs.com

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
All comes down to cost. At this point I would just keep the plate on. Most cost effective would be color matched plugs. You can have a paint shop fill a rattle can with color matched paint, buy plugs, scuff them up a little and spray them so they match perfectly.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Yup. That's exactly what I did when I removed the oem plate holder (no front plates where I live).

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I use my front plate to cover up the holes:D. My car came with it...and the state requires it.

Nowwww if my car didn't have the bumper drilled...I'd just take the risk and run it with no plate...or just tape it on if going on a road trip. I didn't have too many issues with no front plate on my other cars. Don't think I'd be able to deal with the off center tow hook mounts.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I use my front plate to cover up the holes:D. My car came with it...and the state requires it.

Nowwww if my car didn't have the bumper drilled...I'd just take the risk and run it with no plate...or just tape it on if going on a road trip. I didn't have too many issues with no front plate on my other cars. Don't think I'd be able to deal with the off center tow hook mounts.

My county doesn't enforce a front plate, but SF does (because of all the red light cameras / bridge tolls), and the Euro plate option looks pretty good. Sure you still have a plate, but it doesn't interfere with airflow (even if it is minimal).

GTI210

Ready to race!
Semi on topic, but has anybody in a state that requires a front bumper plate ran a euro plate with their actual license plate number on it? If so, have the cops given y'all any shit for it? Strongly considering doing it since my regular plate blocks a decent sized portion of my FMIC.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
You probably would get away with it for a while, but it just gives any cop at any time reason to pull you over most likely when you wouldn't want it. [emoji41][emoji106]
Semi on topic, but has anybody in a state that requires a front bumper plate ran a euro plate with their actual license plate number on it? If so, have the cops given y'all any shit for it? Strongly considering doing it since my regular plate blocks a decent sized portion of my FMIC.

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

Install your front plate underneath your rear plate, then say that you only received one and were kinda concerned about it so you got the Euro plate. Might work, who knows. I've encountered it before, when the customer didn't notice the plates were stuck together.

Some county's don't enforce a front plate. If you see a lot of cars with out front plates (in my area most of the exotics and cars like Tesla's don't have front plates), then you are probably safe.

GTI210

Ready to race!
Going to give it a shot then. Have nothing to hide or be worried about if I get pulled over, so at worst they tell me to remove it and it ends up as a decorative piece for the garage.

SilverSurfer1

Silver Reflex Metallic...my favorite.

Going to visit a body shop on Tuesday, see what they say. I didn't think you could fill plastic, but apparently you can.

Last edited: