GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front tire rubbing wheel well when hitting bumps

sunce868

Hey guys,

I have 18“ rims and using the extreme contact dws06 all season tires (235/40 R18). Recently I changed my suspension to the H&R cup kit (not the coil overs).
Here is the problem: whenever the car is at moderate speed and hitting a bump or going into a quick dip on the road, the front tires would rub the top of the wheel well. There’s a huge rubbing noise and I can see scratch marks on the outer edge of the tire. Passenger side is particularly bad.
The car is not crazy slammed. There’s 1.5 finger space between the tire and the edge. I know there’s a metal and screw piece on the wheelwell that’s the closest thing to the tire. The issue happened before the change to the cup kit but it’s getting a bit worse now.
What can I do to remediate this problem?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Hey guys,

I have 18“ rims and using the extreme contact dws06 all season tires (235/40 R18). Recently I changed my suspension to the H&R cup kit (not the coil overs).
Here is the problem: whenever the car is at moderate speed and hitting a bump or going into a quick dip on the road, the front tires would rub the top of the wheel well. There’s a huge rubbing noise and I can see scratch marks on the outer edge of the tire. Passenger side is particularly bad.
The car is not crazy slammed. There’s 1.5 finger space between the tire and the edge. I know there’s a metal and screw piece on the wheelwell that’s the closest thing to the tire. The issue happened before the change to the cup kit but it’s getting a bit worse now.
What can I do to remediate this problem?

Yea lookup the fender screw mod.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Hello again! I looked at the mod. Only question is - does the metal piece come off? Or am I just removing the screw and the screw retainer.

The metal piece is part of the fender? Just pull the hardware and flip the plastic to the top side instead of underneath. I guess you could push the tab up if needed.

A wise man once said... "This is why it's called modifying your car" lol

CamarosRus

Ready to race!
sunce, Please Post pics of your wheel(s) and fender area.....

It's important to know the offset or ET and/or how low your car sits on WHAT spring ??

Chuck S Auburn,WA