GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel backs up in filler pipe. Can't fill tank

keenyoung

2010 2.5L 4 door hatchback base. Some history, I bought the car at auction with 35K on it about 6 years ago. Front end collision. Just recently rebuilt the front end, including smashed intake and some other plastic engine bits, so it sat for 5.5 years. It runs fine, but I can't get any fuel into the tank. Fuel goes in for about a second, and then it backs up the filler pipe. I know there are various check valves and emmisions stuff, but where to start? Any thoughts? Thanks.

king1138

Go Kart Champion
I'd start by checking the fuel filler neck and vent tube for kinks or blockage. Next you're probably looking at needing a canister vent valve, if the valve isn't functioning the tank can't vent, which will cause fuel to build up in the filler neck almost instantly.

keenyoung

I'd start by checking the fuel filler neck and vent tube for kinks or blockage. Next you're probably looking at needing a canister vent valve, if the valve isn't functioning the tank can't vent, which will cause fuel to build up in the filler neck almost instantly.
No apparent kinks. I pulled the vent hose so it would vent to the atmosphere. Blew into it and got gurgling. Still backs up. Blew thru canister and it is clear.

I snaked a small hose down the filler pipe and I felt it nudge up against something. I pushed a bit more firmly, and fuel shot out of the filler neck. I did it again, and more fuel shot out. When I did it it sounded like a small pump was spinning up. I have no idea what's going on here.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Run the car till the tank is completely empty.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Maybe you have a faulty sensor and your tank is fuller than you think? I mean it's either try that or drop the tank...

keenyoung

Maybe you have a faulty sensor and your tank is fuller than you think? I mean it's either try that or drop the tank...

As it happens earlier today I thought I'd see if I could see something blocking the fuel filler by peeking inside of the tank, so I pulled the back seat to get at the fuel pump and found this:

squirrel.jpg

After vacuuming the seeds up I started to pull the pump and fuel gushed out of the opening. So yeah, it was REALLY full. I win the stupid award today. Since the gauge showed empty and I bought it at auction I just assumed it really WAS empty. Now I just need to track down the gauge problem. I'm guessing some chewed wires. Thanks for the help.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
How tf did a squirrel even get up in there to do that? Good lord.

Fuck squirrels!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
That's exactly what it is. They rob my bird feeders all the time. Sesame seeds and black sunflower seeds

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
clear squirrel apologist ^^