GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel contaminated oil - bad HPFP?

AlexGSi2000

First post on here - hope you don't mind me asking for help.

I have an issue, whereby the oil in my 2011 GTi TSi is getting contaminated with fuel, at an alarming rate.

I first noticed this a few weeks ago when my oil level had risen and the oil had a very (very) strong smell of fuel.
I drained the oil and found it very thin.

I have since driven around 300 miles on fresh oil, again the level has risen and it has a very strong smell of petrol.

I drained the oil again and found it 1.5 litres over the full capacity within 300 miles - somehow petrol has found its way into the engine.

I am either thinking it is the injectors, or the high-pressure fuel pump.
The car runs completely fine, no misfires, smoke, or heavy fuel odour from the exhaust - nice and smooth.
I'm thinking that if I had an injector fault, it would be running poorly or to rich - plus if that amount of fuel had found its way past the rings that I would have other problems too?

Just wondering if anyone has seen or had this issue before - don't want to shell out on a new HPFP straight away if it may be something else.
Im not driving the car at the moment as I dont want to cause any further damage.

Any advice appreciated - thanks!

Ozzy

I’m having same problem. I’ve had a ‘system too rich bank1’ code come up. I think this problem has started initially with a bad idle after long journeys. Oil level too low light coming on as well when there is plenty on the dip stick. It’s now sounding really rough on start up, stinks of fuel and on investigation I reckon my oil is contaminated with fuel. I’ve got it booked in at VW for diagnosis in the morning but can anyone tell me if it’s ok to drive there? Two miles max. I took it to a garage last week and they said they couldn’t pin point the problem as it could be several things which I already knew.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'd guess your oil is so diluted with fuel that your oil pressure is now low. Change the oil now not later & save a sample of the oil for testing. Driving with severely diluted oil will damage the engine. As for the cause I don't know, hopefully your shop will figure it out.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
excessive fuel smell, and a watery appearance of the oil signals an issue with a seal on one or more of the injectors. However, if it's just a faint fuel smell in the oil and it's still pretty viscous, you're probably looking at more of problem with the trips you take in the car being too short and fuel vapor getting into the crank case instead of burning off. These cars need to be pushed hard for extended periods to actually act and function accordingly sometimes. If you're tuned, even more-so since you're constantly running rich.

Ozzy

I'd guess your oil is so diluted with fuel that your oil pressure is now low. Change the oil now not later & save a sample of the oil for testing. Driving with severely diluted oil will damage the engine. As for the cause I don't know, hopefully your shop will figure it out.
Thanks. I’ve topped up a bit to get me there without it being to thin.

Ozzy

excessive fuel smell, and a watery appearance of the oil signals an issue with a seal on one or more of the injectors. However, if it's just a faint fuel smell in the oil and it's still pretty viscous, you're probably looking at more of problem with the trips you take in the car being too short and fuel vapor getting into the crank case instead of burning off. These cars need to be pushed hard for extended periods to actually act and function accordingly sometimes. If you're tuned, even more-so since you're constantly running rich.
Yeah it still has a bit of viscosity to it and yeah I do do a lot of short journeys so this makes sense. Whenever I have taken out on a long journeys though it does seem to struggle to start again after it has cooled for a short while. It was the strong fuel smell and not very nice idle noise that worried me. I’ll be relieved to get it to vw in the morning. ££😢

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Yeah it still has a bit of viscosity to it and yeah I do do a lot of short journeys so this makes sense. Whenever I have taken out on a long journeys though it does seem to struggle to start again after it has cooled for a short while. It was the strong fuel smell and not very nice idle noise that worried me. I’ll be relieved to get it to vw in the morning. ££😢
Let us know what they say. I find my oil smells faintly of fuel, but not watery enough to raise concerns.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I've had a few failed injectors over the years. When they get completely stuck open the car will misfire and idle poorly, usually a low fuel pressure code along with smoke out of the exhaust and strong fuel smell. They will definitely contaminate your oil if not repaired quickly. Possible one is on the way out but hasnt failed completely.

Ozzy

So vw had my car for last three days. They found fault codes but couldn’t get to the bottom of what could be wrong everything seems fine on inspection and taking out for runs and getting the engine hot. The pcv valve was asked about but this had already been replaced two years ago with genuine parts so they spent couple of hours on exhaust system but all seemed fine with lambda etc so we are hoping no lights come back up. They could find no smell of fuel and no one really knows why the oil warning light flashes up now and again. They say they have this often with cars but for me driving a car thinking a warning light will pop up at any moment ain’t that fun. Guess I’ll just see how it goes now.

fsures

Passed Driver's Ed
Why not change the oil pressure sensor? It's inexpensive and easy to do. There do fail. At least you will know the sensor isn't faulty.