GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel sender replacement, or whole pump?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
My fuel gauge randomly drops to empty. Usually works on restart. No drivability issues. Seems like the fuel sender needs replacement. Can I just replace this?

If so, can anyone explain how it’s connected to the pump housing? Easy to remove?

Or should I purchase the entire unit?

green hell

Ready to race!
generally there are two wires connecting the level sender to the flange. this looks like a sealed unit, so maybe the wires are terminated at the sender itself. hopefully there are instructions from ecs. that tweezer-looking tool probably pops the sender unit out of the reservoir.

if there are terminations at the level sender then this won’t be too hard. if the connection goes back up to the flange it will be a little more complicated but not impossible. you’d probably need a dental pick and some needle nose pliers.

i would call ecs and ask. depending on your mileage, it might be more practical to replace the entire fuel module (say over 125k or so).

i wouldn’t buy the cheapest module you find if you go that route.

green hell

Ready to race!
i wouldn't be afraid of replacing just the level sender, but the prices i saw on ecs would indicate that a good module replacement is only 2.5~3 times the cost of the level sender, which is pretty reasonable.

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
Do yourself a favor buy from FCPEuro for lifetime warranty. Out of CT, they even take back old oil in kits for warranty on oil... Crazy I know, I've done it.

I just bought a pump from them and put it in two days ago

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k1RRXGQSNrjHx8Lf6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nx6qMQn5gCQfDnNs5

I wouldn't want to leave that tank open anymore than 10minutes even with doors open, fumes took 2 days to clear out.

Could only imagine trying to fiddle with old pump without a cap on tank and exposed.

I half half a tank of fuel and had to push it down some since it filled, spilt a little on metal bench and cleaned up.

Good luck, I'd suggest a mask and def glasses. Pull fuse and unplug it and crank it a few times and shouldn't have any pressure left. Some say to disconnect neg battery cable too and have fire extinguisher on hand. Goodluck

Last edited: