GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuse box issue

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
So a while back, two years ago, I had fog lights not working or the headlights not work. Sometimes half of the side wouldn’t work.

First thing first, I check the fuse box, I found one of the fuse (F16) 30A green colour fuse burnt up. The fuse socket is also melted.

I simply put in new 30A fuse and carried on.
Today I notice the 30A fuse is partially burnt. See image attached. The fuse box socket for F16 is partially melted as well.

My thoughts are to completely buy a brand new fuse box.

Anyone experience this?

Headlights work. Fog lights work. No other issues. Other than discovering the fuse I put in years ago is partially burnt.

Attachments

• 714336DE-595D-4A6E-A943-BCC7B4496240.jpeg
    714336DE-595D-4A6E-A943-BCC7B4496240.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • 7FFB6233-D581-4D17-887C-04E5DFE2A362.jpeg
    7FFB6233-D581-4D17-887C-04E5DFE2A362.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
And I ended up replacing the 30A fuse again. For the time being.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I am going to remove it and see what changes, next time I go visit my GTI lol it's like my gf guys lol

I do not want to analyze that too deeply........... :D

Generally speaking burning electrics is not a good sign. Step one was that the fuse was the wrong size but thankfully you ruled that out. So many people are like "Hey, this 10 amp fuse keeps popping.....I'll put a 20A in and there's no issue......." Except the REASON it uses a 10A is the circuit can only handle that much and now parts are going to burn up, or fire. lol

So the reason the fuse is melting is heat, heat comes form the circuit not behaving right and that generally comes from whatever is on that circuit. A window motor, pump, etc drawing too much amperage and doing so for long periods of time. Replacing the fuse box may end in the same issue as replacing the fuse, if the issue is elsewhere you will just melt a new fuse box.

Step one is to find what that circuit is, I am heading out of work but I have a database I may be able to look it up tomorrow.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I do not want to analyze that too deeply........... :D

Generally speaking burning electrics is not a good sign. Step one was that the fuse was the wrong size but thankfully you ruled that out. So many people are like "Hey, this 10 amp fuse keeps popping.....I'll put a 20A in and there's no issue......." Except the REASON it uses a 10A is the circuit can only handle that much and now parts are going to burn up, or fire. lol

So the reason the fuse is melting is heat, heat comes form the circuit not behaving right and that generally comes from whatever is on that circuit. A window motor, pump, etc drawing too much amperage and doing so for long periods of time. Replacing the fuse box may end in the same issue as replacing the fuse, if the issue is elsewhere you will just melt a new fuse box.

Step one is to find what that circuit is, I am heading out of work but I have a database I may be able to look it up tomorrow.
LOL it's all love.

yeah I figured it's not a good sign... don't want to keep replacing fuses or fuse box.

I removed that fuse from F16 and the right side headlight and right side fog light don't work with that fuse removed.
so the right fog light or right headlight is drawing too much amperage? I am guessing it's the fog lights, I have HID's and there is a ballast, something can be wrong with the ballast..

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
You might have a pinched wire or a short somewhere, check all your wires.
Ok, I suspect the right side fog light wires. I will pull out the entire right side fog light, check the wires, the ballast, everything. After I get home from work. Car is not with me atm, my bicycle is lol! this is what happens when you work 2.2km away from home.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hey man, I get it, I talk to the R everytime I drive her, telling her how awesome she is and how I wouldn't know what to do if I lost her. Especially after I do a pull and hit 27psi, the smile is just ear to ear LOL Joked with my wife about it last night and she was less than happy that I "Say nicer things to the R than you do to me." :ROFLMAO:

So yes, I got the diagram for you, that fuse runs pretty much all the lights on the right side. Ballast on the HID kit is probably the best place to start for sure, but could be a shorted wire elsewhere too.

Attachments

• Fuse (SB) on E-Box Low, From October 2008 (Fuse).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 158

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Hey man, I get it, I talk to the R everytime I drive her, telling her how awesome she is and how I wouldn't know what to do if I lost her. Especially after I do a pull and hit 27psi, the smile is just ear to ear LOL Joked with my wife about it last night and she was less than happy that I "Say nicer things to the R than you do to me." :ROFLMAO:

So yes, I got the diagram for you, that fuse runs pretty much all the lights on the right side. Ballast on the HID kit is probably the best place to start for sure, but could be a shorted wire elsewhere too.
lmao I can relate. My GTI is wonderful, puts a huge smile on my face, the seats hug me tight when I am hitting curves/corners, especially after installing ST X coilovers... night and day difference. I can feel the boost in my stomach at times (if I'm sober LMAO), I'm sure your wife understands the love you have for your R :) if I can do it all over again, I would've bought a mk6 R *drooling*

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the diagram in PDF format, I saved it! it controls a bunch of lights on the right side, I better get it right! I am starting with the right side fog light. I am actually going to remove the entire right side fog light ballast and drive without it and see what happens to the fuse for the entire year. Who needs bright fog lights when your mind (eyes) are bright af and illuminated 24/7/365,366!!!! #staywoke #48lawsofPower

Thumper

Autocross Champion
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the diagram in PDF format, I saved it! it controls a bunch of lights on the right side, I better get it right! I am starting with the right side fog light. I am actually going to remove the entire right side fog light ballast and drive without it and see what happens to the fuse for the entire year. Who needs bright fog lights when your mind (eyes) are bright af and illuminated 24/7/365,366!!!! #staywoke #48lawsofPower

No problem, happy to help, I have access to a lot of info here at work, most of it body repair related but a decent amount of mechanical stuff too, and always happy to share.