GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ganibuild

Ganiman

Ready to race!
I bought my 2011 MK6 GTI 6 speed manual with just under 36,000 miles on it. Today I hit 39,000. I figured I'd start up a journal to track what I've done. This car is my daily driver. I have owned a number of VWs in my lifetime so far: MK2 Golf, MK3 Jetta, New Beetle, MK4 GTI 337, MK4 Passat Wagon, Tiguan 1 and now the MK6 GTI. I have not had my MK6 for very long, about 3000 miles, but I have a decent commute to work every day - 45 miles each way, so the miles will go up steadily. I have thought about buying an MK2 or MK3 (TDI maybe) and just do enough work on it to keep it running and looking decent enough, and alternating between the two vehicles for my commute. If I could get my hands on a MK3 Cabrio for a good price and in good condition, or maybe an old Rabbit convertible, I think I could talk my wife in to it because she'd have fun with it too and would probably alternate her Tiguan with it as her daily. Having a 2.0 TSI Tiguan is kind of nice, because the maintenance is basically the same as the MK6 GTI and I've been doing it myself so it makes things a bit easier. I plan to do as much maintenance on both vehicles as I can, so long as I don't need a lift. Updates to this journal will probably be slow, as my mod budget is very limited - fill up piggy bank, mod, fill up piggy bank again.

I will update these lists as I install/upgrade various things or as I remember something I've done and forgot to put it on the list here.

Performance

• 2013-03-29 (38,000) - APR Carbonio Stage 1 intake
  • 2013-04-04 (38,500) - APR ECU Stage 1
  • 2020-06-05 (130,000) - APR Downpipe + ECU Stage 2

Suspension/Wheels
  • 2013-08-28 (48,900) - ST Coilovers
  • VMR v721 19x8.5 ET45

VCDS
  • Emergency breaking lights
  • Comfort Windows Closing/Opening via Remote Control
  • Comfort Turning Signal
  • DRL MFA Menu
  • Horn Confirmation when Locking MFA Menu
  • Gauge Sweep

Interior
  • Euroswitch
  • Dash storage cubby

Exterior

Other
  • S3 Short Shifter
  • Soundaktor delete

2013-03-15:
mk6gti_prudential_garage.jpg

2014-02-27:

Last edited:

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Nice -- very clean! I wish my Detroits looked that good anymore. Good luck with the build! Your plans sound about where I was thinking when I first got my MK6... things get out of hand quickly!

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
+1 on the Detroits. PA roads have not been kind to mine. Wish list is pretty close to what is like to do with mine.

Sent from my iPhone 5 via Witchcraft

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Detroits came in near mint condition, one rim has a tiny little spot of curb rash. Other than that it's very clean. Changing out wheels isn't a priority, other things that seem more important. Performance would be first, looks second. Coilovers are the next big thing, stock suspension is too soft I think. Then start working on stage 2.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
The B14s are awesome they take away most of the bounce of stock suspension lowers the car a tad and handles great. Go through Neuspeed $1150 shipped.

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Parts for 40k service arrived today, just in time for the weekend. Weather permitting, tomorrow I will do coils, plugs, fuel filter, cabin filter and oil change complete with shiny new magnetic oil plug. I will try to take pics and document it for some journal love.

uploadfromtaptalk1366411972260.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Did not have enough time to do the full 40k service yet, but I did do my oil change, and went to check out Dustoff. Figured I'd whore it up with some pics.

Oil, oil filter and new oil plug - check.

I have some rhino ramps which work great on the Tiguan, but don't clear the bumper on stock suspension for the GTI, so I had to put it on jack stands.

Under the hood:

The old oil plug:

Place oil pan under car and drain:

New magnetic plug from ECS with new washer:

Remove oil filter and replace:

I then used a vag-com to set the service mileage from 10k down to 5k miles, and also the time from 365 days to 60 days.

Ganiman

Ready to race!
40k service will have to wait for this weekend. I ordered a Euroswitch from Amazon yesterday. It was cheap enough, only $22.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006KZALGC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's a good part - it seems legit enough. I know it does not come with the extra yellow wire for running city lights, but the dealer already ordered one for me for $9.50 and I'll pick it up today or tomorrow.

Ganiman

Ready to race!
My euro switch arrived today and I installed it. It came from China but looks and feels like the real deal. I installed the yellow wire for city lights too with the help of a popular DIY. Works great, I'm happy :thumbsup:

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Installed new coils and plugs today (right at 41k) for 40k maintenance. Only thing left for 40k is the fuel filter. It might have to wait until next weekend. The car seems to be running in tip top shape.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Been a while since I updated my little car blog here. Nothing really new to report since my last post, just more regular DIY maintenance done. Looking to do the next big mod soon. Coilovers or downpipe? Would love turbo back exhaust, but that's above of the next mod's budget I think. Coilovers and downpipe are in the same ball park. The local mod shop around here is a reseller for KW/ST. ST coilvers installed for about $1150 I think. APR downpipe probably a little cheaper. Going to be thinking about this a lot, but right now I am leaning towards coilovers. Stance is bothering me, but stage 2 sounds really nice too.

In the past I have used Bilstein coilovers and loved them. Koni seems to be a favorite. People love KW but they are pricey from what I can see, and ST is supposed to be KWs but a different color for the most part, and more affordable. The local guys at Banchwerks are KW/ST, so I'm really thinking about it. Grambles had a post a couple years back about the STs and seemed to have a very positive review. For the price, it seems hard to beat.

Going stage 2 would be nice too. More passing power! But, if I'm gonna do a down pipe, I keep telling myself just go full turbo back, and this round of modding probably doesnt have the budget for all that, so maybe I'll hold off, get some low and go for turbo back next time around.

Ganiman

Ready to race!
ST coilovers on order and will be installed next Wednesday :thumbup:

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Installed S3 "short" shifter today. It is a nice little upgrade. Noticeable difference when throwing the shifter up and down for sure. Feels very stock still. Some people say 20% shorter, but I would say that is an exaggeration. 10%... Maybe a little more. These cars should have just come with it. The butt dyno was happy, although I might consider going with the sigma 6 down the road.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Ganiman

Ready to race!
ST coilovers installed today.

Only a few threads from the bottom in the front:

After it settles I may take it all the way down.

Front:

Rear:

Here is how she sits after the install: