GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas mileage and tune

tulip

Ready to race!
Hey folks, I've been wondering whether the car still reads somewhat accurate gas mileage with tunes? I guess the main reason I ask is cause I was playing around with the IE crackle file a bit yesturday (don't worry folks its off now lol) and my mpg wouldn't go up even when I would let off the throttle on a steep hill. In my mind I believe that the mpg should read higher as the tune is dumping a significant amount of fuel when I let off throttle but it doesn't read that way whatsoever...

torga

Autocross Champion
The car's mpg estimate has always been off for me, stock or tuned, didn't matter -- it frequently reads 1-2 mpg high. I keep track of fuel efficiency manually with the help of an automotive expense tracking app.

Side note, I'd assume mpg would read lower because of crackles, not higher.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Why would you get an increase in mpg if it's dumping more fuel?

tulip

Ready to race!
The car's mpg estimate has always been off for me, stock or tuned, didn't matter -- it frequently reads 1-2 mpg high. I keep track of fuel efficiency manually with the help of an automotive expense tracking app.

Side note, I'd assume mpg would read lower because of crackles, not higher.
Why would you get an increase in mpg if it's dumping more fuel?
Lol I can't write for the life of me... I meant the consumption (L/100km for me) would rise (as it should), not the level of fuel efficiency...

That being said, although the difference between estimated mpg and real life mpg differ, I was wondering if the estimated mpg would change due to a tune?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The MFA (display in the center of the gauge cluster) spits out MPG estimates based on pre-determined tables that use boost value and engine/wheel speed data.

Basically it is not very accurate even before you start modding the car. So if you want real world values its pencil and paper time.

tulip

Ready to race!
The MFA (display in the center of the gauge cluster) spits out MPG estimates based on pre-determined tables that use boost value and engine/wheel speed data.

Basically it is not very accurate even before you start modding the car. So if you want real world values its pencil and paper time.
Shit.. I figured so... I feel like my tune is using considerable more fuel than stock, starting to worry me lol. Thanks for the reply.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Real time MPG is pointless, I don't know why any car shows it. The MPG will vary so much that using the real time numbers won't end up being helpful at all.