GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Georgetown VW intake valve cleaning?

georgy

Ready to race!
Anyone had their valves cleaned at Georgetown?

They have my car to replace the intake manifold under warranty and offered to clean the valves for $225.

I have no idea what method they use, but the car has less than 80,000 km on it and was not running rough at all before the manifold sensor went.

Worth it?

georgy

Ready to race!
Decided to get it done. Here's what they looked like before the cleaning:

Attachments

• IMG_2369.JPG
    IMG_2369.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 399

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
wow... that's seriously nasty. i wish i had stayed at the shop now to take pics and ask how they were going to clean it. Martin Grove VW cleaning my intake right now. They offered to do it as they were replacing the fuel injector and all the seals. guess they had to to make sure they sit in correctly.

are you getting the after shot?

georgy

Ready to race!
wow... that's seriously nasty. i wish i had stayed at the shop now to take pics and ask how they were going to clean it. Martin Grove VW cleaning my intake right now. They offered to do it as they were replacing the fuel injector and all the seals. guess they had to to make sure they sit in correctly.

are you getting the after shot?

Yea, they'll send me the pictures when they're done and I'll post them up.

I don't think it really matters how they clean it, as long as it's clean.

You can always call them to ask to take pictures when they're done.....

georgy

Ready to race!
What kind of driving do you typically do? Highway, city, short trips vs long?

For the first 40-50k, it was 70-80% highway, but 2 years ago I moved to 5 minutes away from work and it's been 70-80% city/short trips since then.

mikeydubs

Ready to race!
I see, that explains it! I'm going to have to keep it in mind since I also live 5 minutes away from work but do get out on longer drives as well. Doing an oil change soon and plan on giving her a good Italian tune up first!

How long did it take them to clean things up?

georgy

Ready to race!
I see, that explains it! I'm going to have to keep it in mind since I also live 5 minutes away from work but do get out on longer drives as well. Doing an oil change soon and plan on giving her a good Italian tune up first!

How long did it take them to clean things up?

Well to tell you the truth, the car was driving/idling just fine until the manifold sensor went and at that point it startedmisfiring, but only on cold start ups (until rmp dropped). The fuel economy was same as always as well. Having said that, I think it would have been fine for another 60k.

As far as the "Italian tune up" - I think that's a myth. I drive the shit out of my car with red line acceleration every time I drive it and I don't think that it had any effect. I change my oil every 8,000-10,000 km too.

They say it's a 4 hour cleaning job.

georgy

Ready to race!
Cleaned valves. They could have taken better pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    372.4 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 369