GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R VI 2dr Manual - First Mods Please Halp

Phur

Autocross Champion
The Golf R is set up differently underneath. You will possibly have to have something custom fabricated. I know that the golf R downpipe is different. It could make the connection point to the catback fall in a different place.

Phur

Autocross Champion
If you are looking for 450bhp you are talking Stg3+ so some things to consider is upgrade path. If you start with Stg 1 or 2 with one vendor, if that vendor does not do Stg3 kits you will basically eventually be buying software again. Best to plan ahead there, and we are talking about some serious money.

With 100k on the clock the first, most important thing is maintenance. Have you stayed up to date on standard service? Haldex, diffs, cam follower, at 100K should do the timing belt and cam chains/tensioner. Will DEFINITELY need a clutch for that much torque and after 100k.

When you say "staggered" exhaust tips do you just mean the fact that one is on left and one on right? You said like the MK7 and GTI so that's what I am guessing. You will need a new valance to do that and get ready for some irony.......I know that you will need a new bumper cover as well. How do I know, because I spent forever trying to get the R center mount on my GTI LOL So did lots of people, and you have the R with the center mount.............and you want the split exhaust. Just more proof of my theory that it doesn't matter what design the factory gives us, we just like changing it. ;):) The R valance doesn't fit the GTI bumper cover and vs versus, no idea why, makes no sense.
The SRS-TEC valence gets that job done.

Phur

Autocross Champion
There is also this setup...
1606239939709.jpeg

It would make exhaust easier, but still give you a different look.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
View attachment 193788

Yeah, you ninja posted me, LOL I fixed mine after I saw you post the SRS-Tec link.

Now this one I like, looks like a super aggressive R400 style.

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are looking for 450bhp you are talking Stg3+ so some things to consider is upgrade path. If you start with Stg 1 or 2 with one vendor, if that vendor does not do Stg3 kits you will basically eventually be buying software again. Best to plan ahead there, and we are talking about some serious money.

With 100k on the clock the first, most important thing is maintenance. Have you stayed up to date on standard service? Haldex, diffs, cam follower, at 100K should do the timing belt and cam chains/tensioner. Will DEFINITELY need a clutch for that much torque and after 100k.

When you say "staggered" exhaust tips do you just mean the fact that one is on left and one on right? You said like the MK7 and GTI so that's what I am guessing. You will need a new valance to do that and get ready for some irony.......(EDIT) I know that you will need a new bumper cover as well. How do I know, because I spent forever trying to get the R center mount on my GTI LOL So did lots of people, and you have the R with the center mount.............and you want the split exhaust. Just more proof of my theory that it doesn't matter what design the factory gives us, we just like changing it. ;):) The R valance doesn't fit the GTI bumper cover and vs versus, no idea why, makes no sense.

Phur ninja posted me, didn't know about that valance, they weren't making them back in the day. Still, I love the center mount, it's unique even if it makes the rear hatch filthy. lol
Thank you so much!
Yes I've kept her pretty cherry. She's in the shop getting her tune up and a few other things. I'm going to mention the few things you mentioned as well just to be sure they touched on them.
I am super impressed by Phurs link and actually just ordered it 😁
I checked out the Stratified options and that looks like what I'm likely going with.
If you have any opinions or any other suggestions please let me know. I'll be posting a photo likely next week as Thanksgiving is going to impede delivery.

Thank you all again!

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed
View attachment 193788
This is pretty tough. I'm not against this but I kind of hate the side-by-side centered exhaust. It makes me think of a mini Cooper every time. I contemplated the design for so long and I think they heard my dreams/prayers even they made the MK7 🤣

GolfR333

Ready to race!
I recommend apr tune and Neuspeed pflow intake to start off with and see how u like it from there. It won’t be 450 hp but it won’t cost u a lot and if u want to try a upgraded fuel pump after that I heard that will add a lot of hp. After you do the fuel pump ur gonna want to start looking for a newer better clutch. My mechanic recently recommended the kit that comes from a Audi ttrs it fits in ours cars holds a lot more power than our stock clutch with a stock like feel so I hear. That is the clutch’ I plan on getting after my stock one goes out on both my Mk6 golf R’s. I would also recommend a front mount intercooler from neuspeed and far as breaks I would recommend some stoptech slotted rotors with with hawk or Ebc restuff pads.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Dang. I thought the GTI mk6 was the same for some reason.
Ok, what would you suggest - APR? Ideally I'd like something that can take me to stage 3 come that time.

The GTI is a TSI engine EA888, the R uses the older FSI engine EA113.

You can go off the shelf or "boxed' tunes such as APR, or there are custom options where you source a turbo and run logs and dynos and they fine tune for your car. The latter squeezes every ounce of power out of the motor but is time consuming and often some trial and error.

Set your sights high and go with this

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-par...solution-turbo-kit-gtx3076r/cts-ea113boss700/

LOL

Ultimately that decision will be mostly yours since asking on a forum what the best tune is for your car will set off a nuclear level war. ;) Personally I stick with APR because I started with them in the GTI 8 years ago and the service from their dealers and my interactions with Arin over the years earned my continued business. There may be tuners out there that will give you or promise more power but until they are sponsoring my car I'm happy to leave some HP on the table in favor of reliability and support.

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed
I recommend apr tune and Neuspeed pflow intake to start off with and see how u like it from there. It won’t be 450 hp but it won’t cost u a lot and if u want to try a upgraded fuel pump after that I heard that will add a lot of hp. After you do the fuel pump ur gonna want to start looking for a newer better clutch. My mechanic recently recommended the kit that comes from a Audi ttrs it fits in ours cars holds a lot more power than our stock clutch with a stock like feel so I hear. That is the clutch’ I plan on getting after my stock one goes out on both my Mk6 golf R’s. I would also recommend a front mount intercooler from neuspeed and far as breaks I would recommend some stoptech slotted rotors with with hawk or Ebc restuff pads.
I'm going to be checking out APR, as I didn't read the COBB site specificities very well (my car is not supported). I would like something that takes me to multiple stages how
Would you be able to share a link to the clutch kit you're referring to if possible? If not no worries I'll ask my tech :)

Thanks!
The GTI is a TSI engine EA888, the R uses the older FSI engine EA113.

You can go off the shelf or "boxed' tunes such as APR, or there are custom options where you source a turbo and run logs and dynos and they fine tune for your car. The latter squeezes every ounce of power out of the motor but is time consuming and often some trial and error.

Set your sights high and go with this

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-par...solution-turbo-kit-gtx3076r/cts-ea113boss700/

LOL

Ultimately that decision will be mostly yours since asking on a forum what the best tune is for your car will set off a nuclear level war. ;) Personally I stick with APR because I started with them in the GTI 8 years ago and the service from their dealers and my interactions with Arin over the years earned my continued business. There may be tuners out there that will give you or promise more power but until they are sponsoring my car I'm happy to leave some HP on the table in favor of reliability and support.
Haha I'm happy to watch a war unfold from the sidelines.
I'm going to revise everyone's suggestions so far and put together a build list.
APR appears to be a tried and true option for me and my car especially being a first timer.

Is this a decent deal from APR - Turbo refresh with the ECU module?
https://www.goapr.com/products/engine_hardware/turbo/oem/parts/T2100012

Or is the turbo you've mentioned a little better/larger?

Thank you!

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you to everyone that's posted here. I'm really excited going thru all these sites and building my car to a place I thought I might not get to due to time/health.
I hope everyone has a great holiday and I'm gonna stretch my wallet over the next few days of internet black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping and reply back with my list of stuff 😀

If anyone has anything I must get let me know! 🤣

GolfR333

Ready to race!
Well if ur gonna be going with a stage 3 turbo I recommend a stage 3 clutch. Not the ttrs one because it won’t last as long. The ttrs one is more for stage 2 power. I am still stage 1 so ur gonna have to ask some of the stage 3 guys what they recommend for the best clutch’s.

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed
Well if ur gonna be going with a stage 3 turbo I recommend a stage 3 clutch. Not the ttrs one because it won’t last as long. The ttrs one is more for stage 2 power. I am still stage 1 so ur gonna have to ask some of the stage 3 guys what they recommend for the best clutch’s.
Totally makes sense, but before I even step foot in the 3rd stage I'm going to build up to stage 2 and drive it for a while. I'll likely break some things and have some time in the future to get myself to that level.
Thank you for the feedback!

Happy turkey day! 🦃

avgj0e

Passed Driver's Ed

When you say "staggered" exhaust tips do you just mean the fact that one is on left and one on right? You said like the MK7 and GTI so that's what I am guessing. You will need a new valance to do that and get ready for some irony.......(EDIT) I know that you will need a new bumper cover as well. How do I know, because I spent forever trying to get the R center mount on my GTI LOL So did lots of people, and you have the R with the center mount.............and you want the split exhaust. Just more proof of my theory that it doesn't matter what design the factory gives us, we just like changing it. ;):) The R valance doesn't fit the GTI bumper cover and vs versus, no idea why, makes no sense.

Phur ninja posted me, didn't know about that valance, they weren't making them back in the day. Still, I love the center mount, it's unique even if it makes the rear hatch filthy. lol
Hey hey - curious if you or Phur know if a turbo back for a GTI will work for my R? I'm not sure how to go about the "GTR" exhaust I'd like.

🙏 thank you