GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GolNat's 2014 JSW TDI 6 MT - *ChocolateUnicorn* *TurdWagen* *DirtyDiesel*

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I thought people might be interested in this and since it's still a VW I figured what the hell. I am in the process of some life changes and had to do some vehicle rearranging. I ended up with my wife's 2016 Jetta. It has the 1.4T engine that has been very economical and it was a fun car but had an automatic (not even DSG). I have always loved wagons and have always admired diesels for their efficiency. So I just looked to see what was available. Low and behold there was a TDI Jetta SportWagen for sale with only 28k miles!!!! It was a 6 speed manual, fully loaded SEL model and only 2.5 hours away in NJ. Reached out to the dealer to find out more about it and see if I could schedule a test drive. Apparently it was a popular vehicle as he had someone flying in to look at it and 5 test drives scheduled for the weekend. This could have all been BS but I know diesel wagons have a cult like following and with this having such low mileage and being a manual it would be desirable to those select few. Finding a diesel wagon is not too hard but your search results go from 20 down to 3 when you want a DIY gearbox. I heavily considered the Audi A3 wagon as I do think it looks better but it has less storage room and no manual option.

I hurried up to NJ to check it out. The original owner bought it new and turned it into VW after DieselGate. The dealer that had it bought it from VW. They had some really cool cars!! A Civic Type-R, 4 or 5, 5.0 Mustangs (all manuals), Scat Pack Challenger, Camaro ZL1, Saturn Sky, Buick Grand National, and a mint older Taco. Everything looked great on the JSW and after talking numbers I traded in the Jetta and took home another older Jetta :LOL:.

The dealer didn't fill it up so I stopped for fuel before heading home. Since you can't pump your own fuel in NJ I had to tell the attendant what to fill it with. I told him diesel and he gave me a funny a look and said "this takes diesel"? I said yeah and he still looked puzzled but filled it up. I made sure to watch him so he didn't grab the wrong nozzle :oops:. I averaged 40MPG on the way home doing 70-80 which I thought was great. With some modifications that number can get closer to 50MPG. I will be tracking with Fuelly to remove any errors in the computer.

It is certainly an adjustment from the GTI (any gas vehicle really). Red line is 5k and it is certainly not the fastest. It could use some better tires, a sportier alignment and a DieselGeek shifter so it doesn't feel like you are stirring a bowl of pudding. The low end torque is nice but man does it rev slow when you try to rev match. Instead of a throttle blip its a throttle stomp. I just remind myself that's not what I bought it for, that's what the GTI is for. The seats are very comfy and it has a nice ride.

I don't have official plans for the car but don't want to spend money on performance mods unless they increase MPG's. I will probably do a more looks build. Lower it, wheels, tint, get rid of the chrome, maybe some interior stuff. I'd like to get an exhaust for it so I can hear those sweet diesel noises and might do a stage 1 or 2 tune to gain some MPG.

Specs:
Engine - 2.0T Diesel
Horsepower - 140
Torque - 238
EPA rating - 30 City/42 Highway
Fuel Capacity - 14.5 gallons
Color - Toffee
Nav, Pano Sunroof, Push-to-Start, proximity unlock, Bluetooth media and calling.

Pictures:

My end goal is something similar to below. Air suspension is on the wish list and if I shop used like with the GTI it could happen.

1599006793892.png

1599006806124.png

If I go the air route:

1599006947988.png

Last edited:

csumt76

Autocross Champion
Any tuned diesel is a lot more 'sporty' from my experience. The problem is that to get the MPG you have to be disciplined to drive it like grandpa. Looking forward to see what you do with it (y)

Edit: With that color I'd have to go with a look more like the last pic. Super light tint, debadge, little bit of chrome, maybe black slats in the grill, bright wheels, IN THE WEEDS lol

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Man you ain’t kidding about the grandpa part. On my way home tonight I saw a great improvement on MPG just by doing 50 instead 65 and not driving it like a GTI on the back roads. This is true of gassers too but it seems Like diesels are more sensitive to it. Maybe it’s only because I’m paying attention now.

Good to know!! I can see a Stage 1 or 2 tune in the future as I think an extra 30-40 hp could really help sport it up. Malone seems to be the go to TDI company.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Tune it!

Excited to see how this goes though. Glad more wagons are popping up. I have a box of parts for my BMW Wagon sitting here waiting for Friday.
That's a nice tune!! It seems simpler then Malone since it doesn't require any hardware changes. It's on my list (y).

Had my first fix already. Since I purchased the car the push button to start it has always been kinda finicky. I thought maybe the key fob battery was dying but it tested out okay. If anyone wants to test their fob when you press a button on it it should flash the LED on the fob once. If you press and hold a button the LED should flash and then start blinking. If it doesn't blink then the battery is low. Mine tested good. So then I thought maybe it had to do with it being a diesel and the glow plugs had to warm up or something. Started digging around on the TDI forum and found someone having the same issue. His solution was to take apart the push button switch and clean the contacts. I figured it was a worth a shot and sure enough she is working great. The contacts looked clean but I hit them with a pencil eraser and cleaned the pads.

I'm sure this could be done for any push button start so here is the thread on TDIclub with pictures and a video.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/fix-for-when-push-to-start-button-acts-up.430031/

Filled it up for the first time today and I need to keep some gloves in the car. The diesel handle was filthy. I also was reading about adapters that you should carry in the car for the pumps that use a larger then average nozzle. The first station I stopped at had diesel pumps separate from the gas pumps and they only had larger truck nozzles. Went to another station and found small nozzles. I'll be ordering an adapter soon.

csumt76

Autocross Champion
That's a nice tune!! It seems simpler then Malone since it doesn't require any hardware changes. It's on my list (y).

Had my first fix already. Since I purchased the car the push button to start it has always been kinda finicky. I thought maybe the key fob battery was dying but it tested out okay. If anyone wants to test their fob when you press a button on it it should flash the LED on the fob once. If you press and hold a button the LED should flash and then start blinking. If it doesn't blink then the battery is low. Mine tested good. So then I thought maybe it had to do with it being a diesel and the glow plugs had to warm up or something. Started digging around on the TDI forum and found someone having the same issue. His solution was to take apart the push button switch and clean the contacts. I figured it was a worth a shot and sure enough she is working great. The contacts looked clean but I hit them with a pencil eraser and cleaned the pads.

I'm sure this could be done for any push button start so here is the thread on TDIclub with pictures and a video.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/fix-for-when-push-to-start-button-acts-up.430031/

Filled it up for the first time today and I need to keep some gloves in the car. The diesel handle was filthy. I also was reading about adapters that you should carry in the car for the pumps that use a larger then average nozzle. The first station I stopped at had diesel pumps separate from the gas pumps and they only had larger truck nozzles. Went to another station and found small nozzles. I'll be ordering an adapter soon.
LoL. My car still randomly cuts out of the starting sequence. I read about the switch also. When I finally got around to taking it apart, the switch already had pick marks all over it!!! It happens maybe once a month, I haven't gone any further.

torga

Autocross Champion
Are you gonna lovingly call this your shitbox?

Thumper1

Autocross Newbie
Nice find! (y)

I always wanted one but I've become an AWD snob and it's just really too bad Audi/VW stopped designing the TDIs to have AWD. Now I am forced to buy a RS6 Avant to get a proper AWD wagon. lol

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Are you gonna lovingly call this your shitbox?
Lol I still need to come up with an actual name for her. If she ends up not being reliable then yes shitbox will certainly be used!! There is certainly a difference in quality it seems between it and the GTI. Interior trim pieces have inconsistent gaps. Everything is tight tho.

Nice find! (y)

I always wanted one but I've become an AWD snob and it's just really too bad Audi/VW stopped designing the TDIs to have AWD. Now I am forced to buy a RS6 Avant to get a proper AWD wagon. lol
Thanks.

I'd love an Avant of any year really!! The RS2 Avant is one of my all time favs. If I had lots of money for a car collection it would be in there.

torga

Autocross Champion

Thumper1

Autocross Newbie
I'd love an Avant of any year really!! The RS2 Avant is one of my all time favs. If I had lots of money for a car collection it would be in there.
I know, there was an RS2 Avant for sale in Denver not long ago, only $65k. :) Thankfully it was gray, made it easier to let go. If it had been Nogaro.......but then it would have also been more expensive LMAO

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Still working on a name. I am becoming more accustom to driving it like a grandma now.

First order of business was representing the 6 speed.

0B82CE5C-35AA-466F-88D6-289D9D894E5F.jpeg

I have a similar decal on my GTI just a different style.

Future plans:

-Wheels for a set of summer tires (used).
-Votex body kit if I can find it used.
-Coilovers or air depending on what comes up used.
-I'd like to add CarPlay and move this radio to the GTI.
-Klii Inlay for the rear badge.
-Might color all the chrome black, not sure yet.