GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GolNat's 2014 JSW TDI 6 MT - *ChocolateUnicorn* *TurdWagen* *DirtyDiesel*

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Yeah buddy!!! 43.3MPG average with country back road driving. The computer is usually optimistic so its probably closer to 40. Getting used to giving myself a little more time to get places and being super smooth with the throttle.

Talked with a TDI guy on another forum and he said he saw a 7mpg increase in mixed driving by doing the DPF delete and tune. He recommended going with a a tuner that does diesels like Malone, Kerma or Rocketchip. A Malone stage 2 tune with supporting hardware will run about $1600. That's with a high flow cat and resonator. This will most likely void my extended emissions warranty which concerns me some. I also do not want to go to far with the mods and end up not like daily driving it. It can be a thin line.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Braun? (Brown)
Schmutz? (Dirt)
Dreckig? (Dirty)
Opa? (Grandpa)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Braun? (Brown)
Schmutz? (Dirt)
Dreckig? (Dirty)
Opa? (Grandpa)

Lol, I like Schmutz.

Not sure what all the extended emissions warranty covers but tune may render most of it useless anyway.

It is suppose to be everything and anything emissions related I think. Even stuff that wasn't touched during the update. I need to look into it more tho. The more failure prone items like EGR and DPF are removed.

Phur

Autocross Champion
There are a couple of other translations for dirty that I like too.
Schmutzig and unsauber.
1600827856909.png

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have an Audi 3.0TDI and I added the Malone stg2 tune..... huge difference. It is nice that they sell a loader so you can just install yourself. Would highly recommend the tune for performance. Better performance generally does not mean better mileage. Takes more fuel to make more power. Driving conservative really does help mileage but even with a tune that gives me 305/490 I get great mileage and performance that you can only get with a TDI. I had the same car with the 4.2 V8 gasser and my chipped TDI is so much faster under 70 mph than the V8 was.

Sorry too much info - bottomline I am a Malone and a TDI enthusiast.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
It is suppose to be everything and anything emissions related I think. Even stuff that wasn't touched during the update. I need to look into it more tho. The more failure prone items like EGR and DPF are removed.

Pulled this from VW Canada site because my quick search didn't get anything on US, but should be the same. It also states only covers for 10 years, but I need to find my paperwork on the Touareg because I could swear it says I have Lifetime coverage but it was purchased as a CPO. The standard bumper to bumper CPO is coming to an end and have been thinking about going Mallone.

Parts Covered Under Extended Emissions Warranty The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems:

The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, NOx Reduction Catalyst, Diesel Particulate Filter, exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;

The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve, and all sensors and actuators;

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators;

The air intake pipe and charge air cooler, charge air temperature sensor and air-mass sensor;

The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper;

The Glow Plug;

The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system – any malfunctions detected by the OBD system other than those related to the transmission; and

The Transmission and Transmission Mechatronic Unit (specific 2009 MY vehicles ONLY). Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine subassembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.

This warranty extension covers only the diagnosis and replacement of the emissions-related components listed in this section. If the warranty service is expected to take longer than 3 hours, Volkswagen will provide a loaner vehicle. 10 Customer Notices If you choose to keep your vehicle but decline the emissions modification at this time, you should be aware that certain emissions related replacement and repair parts for the current emissions system in your vehicle may at some point no longer be available from Volkswagen. Accordingly, in the future, if your unmodified vehicle requires maintenance and repairs of the emissions system we may need to install parts associated with the emissions modification, or, in some cases, install all aspects of the emissions modification. This may lead to changes to your vehicle’s operation or performance resulting from those modifications as discussed in this booklet. If the vehicle has been modified by the customer prior to receiving the emissions modification in a manner that may yield a non-compliant emissions system (for example, removal of a catalyst, installation of parts that impact emissions or emissions-related parts, or modifications to the engine control unit (ECU) or computer software of the vehicle), Volkswagen may not be able to perform the emissions modification until the customer corrects such modification. The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labour, and applicable taxes, and shall not void or supersede any existing warranty

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I have an Audi 3.0TDI and I added the Malone stg2 tune..... huge difference. It is nice that they sell a loader so you can just install yourself. Would highly recommend the tune for performance. Better performance generally does not mean better mileage. Takes more fuel to make more power. Driving conservative really does help mileage but even with a tune that gives me 305/490 I get great mileage and performance that you can only get with a TDI. I had the same car with the 4.2 V8 gasser and my chipped TDI is so much faster under 70 mph than the V8 was.

Sorry too much info - bottomline I am a Malone and a TDI enthusiast.

Thanks for the feedback. I will either be Malone or Kerma I think when the time comes.

Pulled this from VW Canada site because my quick search didn't get anything on US, but should be the same. It also states only covers for 10 years, but I need to find my paperwork on the Touareg because I could swear it says I have Lifetime coverage but it was purchased as a CPO. The standard bumper to bumper CPO is coming to an end and have been thinking about going Mallone.

Great info!! Yeah I'm still undecided on if I am taking the chance or not. I already blew it with the GTI so I'm thinking what the hell.

I added a Rennline phone mount. Love the one in my GTI and since the wagon has BT music it makes for a super clean cordless look when the phone is mounted. Keeps the phone within arms reach and the facial recognition works while it is mounted.

Shout out to Rennline with great customer service after I ordered the wrong mount. I ordered a Jetta mount but I needed a Golf mount. I told them about my mess up and they said just ship us the wrong one back and we will ship out the correct mount. The next day they mailed me the correct one before I had even mailed the incorrect one back. Fast response, shipping and easy to work with customer service (y)

CA60F2CF-F5AA-4330-A3A5-EE7EC1FB9803.jpeg

Looks just like the GTI. Worth the $50 IMO.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Oh and I also started using an additive. I am on my third tank full and have not noticed much difference in anything. I am not generally a additive type person but this has added benefits that are unique to diesel engines. The main things I am after are increased lubricity and moisture dispersion. Diesel fuel acts as an oil so it keeps vital parts like the fuel pump lubricated. The HPFP on the earlier diesel cars have exploded into pieces causing lots of money in damage. Not sure if it's a VW issue (never, couldn't be) or from crap diesel. This just adds extra insurance. Diesel fuel also attracts moisture and any water that gets in the tank will reduce the lubricity.
1603946066646.png

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hey man, just circling back on this, I'm also not big on extra additives on my gassers, just use top tier fuel and good to go. But no one does anything special to diesel (except Chevron started to treat theirs many years ago, none near me anymore so don't know if they still do) so just wondering if you've noticed anything since using this one; good, bad, or nothing at all.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Hey man, just circling back on this, I'm also not big on extra additives on my gassers, just use top tier fuel and good to go. But no one does anything special to diesel (except Chevron started to treat theirs many years ago, none near me anymore so don't know if they still do) so just wondering if you've noticed anything since using this one; good, bad, or nothing at all.

I haven't noticed anything really except my gas mileage sucks in the winter. Around the time I started using the additive it was starting to get colder out so my MPG dropped but I don't think that is an issue with the additive. I probably won't buy anymore tho and might give something else a try. A guy I work with that has 4 diesel vehicles uses this stuff as an added lubricant.

Opti-Lube

1614147845230.png

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hmm, the fuel mileage in the Touareg didn't tank much in the cold, I normally average 30MPG on my commute and was doing 27-28 during the super cold snap.

They sell this stuff around me, lots of diesels around although American ones.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-kleen-cetane-boost/

Was thinking of giving it a try, I used one treatment of their anti-gel during the coldest days where it was -10.